Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Try This

I am a Chinese and i have a new GL1800 ,but i have a question,the moto's GPS only has north American map .
I want a China map ,
Any body tell me ?

Thx very much firest.

my MSN:[email protected] and my mailbox :[email protected]
Check out my reply (SNOWGHOST) to the post at:

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267&highlight=navigation

As for maps for China, the only product I saw available was the NT version. Don't know what model year of GoldWing you have, but the 2008 and earlier require the "non-NT" version of the software. I don't know for sure if the 2009 can use the NT maps; you need to check with Honda/Garmin.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
08 GL1800 NAV map update

Saw the posts. I have experienced many problems due to outdated maps. Just checked and confirmed my maps are City Navigator 2006. I purchased my Wing Aug 2008 new from the dealer. Doesn't Honda have some responsibility of delivering me a reasonably current set of maps on the GPS of new wing with an MSRP of over $23,000.00? My wing was delivered at the end of the product year for 2008 only a month from the 2009 model introduction, and it was delivered with 2 1/2 year old maps?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
103 Posts
You'll Have to Fix It Yourself

Saw the posts. I have experienced many problems due to outdated maps. Just checked and confirmed my maps are City Navigator 2006. ...Doesn't Honda have some responsibility of delivering me a reasonably current set of maps on the GPS of new wing with an MSRP of over $23,000.00? ...delivered with 2 1/2 year old maps?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
Welcome to the wonderful world of customer service, or lack of it. If you want updated maps, you'll have to do your own thing. I posted instructions in "Updating your Navigation" thread on how to do this. The last version available is CityNavigator 2009. From now on, Garmin will no longer publish updates to the non-NT versions of their software, which is required for the Honda NAVI, 2008 models and older. If you want a system that you can update going forward, you'll have to replace your Honda NAVI unit with the new hardware being sold as of the 2009 model. Sucks, but that's the reality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was assuming this would be the case.

I did read all the directions and I understand it all. I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 for the car, so I know Garmin has good products - seems that Honda got in the middle with their contract lawyers and screwed up a good thing.

I also am very computer literate, so I'm sure I'll be able to do the update by hand. I also understand the non NT issue, which is basically an older non compressed data storage architecture. The world got updated, but we are stuck with older technology that has been discontinued - compact flash with size limitations. Sounds like the compact flash issue is not so much that as it is hard-coded firmware programming, since others have tried cards larger than 2GB without success. Bottom Line: Memory prices and form factors got more cost effective and useable, and we got no benefit from it, except of course, to be locked out with few options.

Honda should stick with bikes and let Garmin do the GPS. If Garmin products are good enough for the general aviation industry, I'm sure they will work on a GL1800.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
103 Posts
...Honda should stick with bikes and let Garmin do the GPS. If Garmin products are good enough for the general aviation industry, I'm sure they will work on a GL1800.

Thanks for the reply.
My sentiments, exactly. Why Honda insisted on tying Garmin's hands on the NAVI is like a plumber trying to do brain surgery. Honda blew it trying to tell Garmin how to do the NAVI.

I use a Zumo550 on my Wing as well and depend on it for detailed navigation. I use the NAVI for the "big picture." I probably won't depend on the onboard NAVI until I trade up (provided they let Garmin do the hardware AND software design).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: Just off the phone with Honda corporate - exactly as we suspected. Girl was nice, but reading from a script - wasted my time. Said I would have to contact Garmin to get a new SD card. I corrected her - "It's a compact flash card". She said, "yes, that too". So I said, "let me understand exactly where this leaves me. I purchased a brand new 2008 GL1800, MSRP $24K last August off the dealer showroom floor, it has 6500 miles on it as of today and every single one of those miles the onboard HONDA GPS flashed me "Unverified Road" and gave me primarliy useless information, or at least information that I have no confidence in, and the MAPS on my HONDA GPS that were delivered on day 1 were 2 1/2 years out of date per the date on the HONDA GPS setup screen, and that HONDA says that I must pay GARMIN to upgrade these HONDA maps?".

She replies, "This is correct, sir." She adds, "It takes time to engineer the product and manufacture it before the bike is built". I replied, "I understand, but you stated earlier this is a GARMIN unit, so the fact that HONDA puts it's name on it to make it say Honda when the bike starts up basically delays the maps to be 2 1/2 years out of date when the bike is manufactured to the point of making them useless, and then allows HONDA to take no responsibility for a faulty product and that I should contact Garmin?" She replies, "Well I see your point." I then add, "I have 2 other Garmin products that are great products and am familiar with the map upgrade process, I've just never had a situation where a manufacturer doesn't have a mechanism to make customers happy on such a large purchase that is not really that hard to fix." She then adds, well the updates haven't been out for that long.

At this point, I reply with, "My 2008 Goldwing has 2006 maps and I took delivery of it within a month of the 2009 hitting the market. I was told the 2009's GPS were identical to the 2008. This also turns out to be incorrect. My Garmin Nuvi 760 I use in my car arrived in 2008 with 2008 maps. Since then, the 2009 maps have been released and now the 2010 maps have just been made available. These updates have been available for a long time - contrary to what you are telling me".

I asked her to file a formal complaint. I plan on following up with a formal letter.

Sad how things change.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There You Have It

Update: Just off the phone with Honda corporate - exactly as we suspected....
I hear that if we buy a new 2009 NAVI system, it comes with a GoldWing attached. Frankly, I'm going to drive the 2008 I've had for almost two years a little longer before I trade. In the interim, I'm using my Zumo550 on the left handlebar for my navigating needs.

Ride Safely!

P.S. The $3K in farkle I've added since delivery and time installing could have something to do with my decision as well.

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts