Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:(Hello Everyone,

I recently got me a 1986 Goldwing Interstate and am having some problems. When I started to ride it for the first time, it ran for a while with a bit of smoking initially but the engine started cutting off after I braked at a light. I restarted it and kept riding but every time I stopped, the engine died and the OIL light came on. When I arrived home, I filled up on motor oil which seemed low. It would start for a while with the choke on but then the engine dies when I slow down and stop, after about 5 minutes riding. The engine runs a bit loud maybe a bit noisy. When the choke is kept on full, (even though the weather is not that cold) the bike runs longer without the engine going off. When it is about to die, the motorcycle will jerk/shudder back and forth and then the engine dies at low revs. Can anyone tell me what they think and how I can fix this. I plan to service the bike myself as far as is possible and I check manuals to learn about service etc. but am reluctant to take it to a shop unless I need to as a last resort. I am trying to learn to fix it by myself, just as I did for my earlier first bike.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF coolrider. you may need your carbs rebuilt or you may have bad gas, how long did it sit before you purchased it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Malfunctioning Goldwing

Thank you for taking the time to reply which gives me some direction to work toward.

Yes, the bike was sitting for almost 3 years and ridden just a bit in the 3rd year according to the previous owner. Even though it did have some stale gas in it, I filled up more gas probably about 3 gallons. Should I just keep ridng and refill it once more, which should dilute the bad gas and eventually use it up ? It seems to be riding better now when the choke is on, but not able to shut off the choke as yet as the engine dies.

Also, would bad gas have damaged the internals in any way or is it just a temporary situation if it really is bad gas ? Could the timing belts be affected in any way since it was jerking back and forth at stops, when the engine heated up. after about 5 minutes of riding on choke, I can feel a lot of heat generated. also, I think there may be an oil leak because the underside (some pipes) are coated with oily gunk and there are some oil drops on the ground. What is a good way to trace where the leak is and the good way to seal it ? Sorry to bother you with so many questions, but any help from you and the others would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new (to you) Wing. You may have fouled the plugs especially if you have to run with the choke open. My suggestion would be to drain the gas, drain the carbs and put a new set of plugs in it. I would also change the oil and filter, even though you added to what is in there. Next check the coolant. You could drain it or for now top it off until you can change it completly. Start it up and go on a good long ride and see how she does. Good luck and ride safe..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts