Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,i'm 41 and i bought a 1984 gl1200a last april(09),as all of my riding previously had been on sportbikes, it took about 1000 miles to get used to the low speed cornering.once i got it down i began to love the goldwing so much that i'm buying a 2009(brand new)gl1800 comfort navi xm abs model.my questions to anyone would be:1)are there any problems to look for?2)any suggestions as to a headset for my passenger and me?i'm looking for a plug type so i can use all of the gl's audio comfort,and would also like a voice activated system so the audio system will automatically cut out when speaking.3)lastly is there insurance out there under 600 dollars per year,i will be paying 465 per year with my company but it does'nt carry any medical?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing, you will love it. :)
There are really no problems with the Gold Wing except that alot of them have trouble with the heated grips and seat. Don't let the dealer sell you an extended warranty, you can buy one later, Honda direct line sells them for $499.00 for a full additional 4 years.
J&M are about the best headsets, Edsets run a close second. The Gold Wing has a MUTE setting on it that cuts the radio off when someone talks on the intercom, you set that with a push of one of the radio knobs. Read the owners manual, there are several things that each knob does.
Insurance rates vary greatly by company and state, Here are some you can look up on the Internet and get quotes from, I have GMAC and Geico has been close in price but I have had GMAC for 11 years.
Progressive,
GMAC
Foremost
Dairyland
Geico

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF ktownne, hope you are just as happy with your new 1800 wing as you were with the old 1200 wing

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
As usual Joe covered your questions so the only thing I'll add is welcome to the site & have fun with the new ride.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Fossil92, sorry about beating you to the punch on answering that question but it has been raining here in California a week and I can't go out and play on my Wing so I have to entertain myself with the computer, My wife is praying for sunny skies so I can go outside and get out of her hair!! :(

·
Registered
165 Posts
I know how you feel - I've just bought an 08 Black GL 1800 - but only been out on it twice in a month due to the weather...

Gives you time to sort out a few things though....

I'm sure you'll love the bike. Goldwings are completely counter-intuitive. Your eyes tell you they can't, but somehow they can (corner, ride fast, be easy to handle etc.). Astonishing bit of engineering.
:)

Hedgehog
Wiltshire
England

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Congrats on your new Wing. Bought a 09 base model this spring. Great bike and no problems so far.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Hey, Joe in CA...

Any problems with the rain out there? Hope your high and dry.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
ktownne: Congrat's ! As far as insurance I have " Formost ". I was using State Farm because the home and auto are under them, and have been for years.Thumbing though a AARP catalogue ( you'll get your's later ) I saw their addy, called them up and pay a little less than $ 400.00 a year for full coverage, I do believe. State Farm was $200..00 +/- more and they would not match it or even try to compare their coverage over Formost. My driving record was clean except for a " seat belt " violation, which doesn't seem to apply to a motorcycle, and is a state issue. Not recommending one or the other, just letting you know I have bike insurance under $ 500.00 a year.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this site is great!!!!!i appreciate all the answers i'm getting,and hope to see ya'll on the road!!everyone keep the tires on the ground!still looking for communicator info.i'd like to stay with a goldwing product,or at least completely compatible.any help out there?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome ktownne, congrats on your new Wing, where do you call home?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Welcome, I know you will enjoy your new Wing, Congrats on the new Wing
Live to Ride Ride to Live

·
Registered
21 Posts
J&M and Edsets are fully compatible with and designed for Goldwings.

As far as insurance goes, I'm 42 with a clean record and full coverage (including medical and uninsured motorist) on my '06 + liability on my '86 is running me under $400/year for both with Geico.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The autocom headset works with the intercom that comes with the bike...much cheaper, although you'll have to buy a converter also as the systems are different. Otherwise its rip-off Honda I'm afriad.

Hedgehog;);)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cold,cold,cold indiana

i live in indiana(northeast near ft. wayne)it's been mid twenties for almost 1 month!!!!supposed to be mid 30's today,i'm hoping.veritable heatwave,yes?well it's friday and i'm supposed to pick up my new 2009 gl,i'm hoping for mid 30's and dry, as my wife is insisting on test riding before signing.it rained ice last night and the dealer won't let us test ride unless it's dry!i'm used to winter riding if it's mid 30's and up,and the snow and ice is pushed way into everyones parking strips.i hope the new heated grips and seat work as well as advertised!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Seat and grips work very well - tested them yesterday in 6 degrees (centigrade) of wet, dark England. Lifesaver as the warmth helps keep cocentration up on long rides.

Hedgehog:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi all!!got my new gl1800(09)friday,and i absolutly love it!!!the dealer and salesman were great!lake city in warsaw in.were wonderful,even insiting on backing my bike out of the parking space when i left!i hope the helpfulness continues.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
hi all!!got my new gl1800(09)friday,and i absolutly love it!!!the dealer and salesman were great!lake city in warsaw in.were wonderful,even insiting on backing my bike out of the parking space when i left!i hope the helpfulness continues.
Pictures please! We need to decide how we are going to deck it out for you. It's fun to be a happy camper, isn't it ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi ktownne, did you mention to your wife that you require hundreds of dollars in accessories immediately ? Yup, mine got a fright too. However, there are lots of farkles for momma. Good luck - got my '09 last June and it still blows my mind. And like chopin says, pictures please.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts