Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Just wanted to chime in and make it official. Picked up a 1988 GL1500 a couple weeks ago and have been skulking around this site ever since. Used to ride a 1980 GL1100 standard that I built into an official Interstate. Changed up the ride to a Shadow Ace Tourer (which I still have) but have always missed the Wing. Wife never liked the Shadow so when she says it's time for another Wing, SAY NO MORE! Only 43,000 miles on the clock so figure I'm good for another 100,000 or so. Everything is great condition except I have an un-matched mirror that needs to be taken care of and the cruise is not functioning. Other than that, it's ready to ride the wheels off of. Actually, I can do that whether I fix these two items or not! Great to be on board and I look forward to meeting many of you either here or on the road.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome Javarider! Like you, my wife 'suggested' the Wing since she hated my previous 5 rides (even the ST1300) especially the custom Vulcan. Once the significant others get on a Wing, they're done for everything else it seems (ah rats, hehe).

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Welcome to the board, you cruise problem might be an easy fix, next time you go to SET it, push out slightly on the front brake lever and see if it will set, if not push out slightly on the clutch lever ans see if that will make it set. There are micro switches under each lever than might not be setting. Does it have chrome levers on it? Sometimes that could be the problem.
If you can't find a mirror to match you might want to try these for under $100.00
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/278_Mirror_Accessories/3212_GL1500_Chrome_Mirror_Set/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1500/278_goldwing_Mirror_Accessories/des/

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF javarider

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Welcome javarider to a great place with equally great people from the Keystone State.
So now I have a qusetion for you? Wife & I are going across country June/July & since we will be riding sections of Rt66 & you are in one of those hotbed sections through Kansas to Oklahoma. What are the conditions of 66 & is there anything We need to be aware of or Do?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another Keystone state'r and congrats on your new (2u) Wing. Enjoy your ride and the site. Since your from the "show me" state, you have to post pics. Ride safe..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome Neighbor. And I mean that literally. I'm just on the north edge of Pittsburg, so we're only 30 miles or so apart.

This is a great site and I've found a wealth of good info here.

Hope to see you on the road.

Hoss

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe - thanks for the info on the mirrors. That may be cheaper in the long run and better looking. Anyone else have these and have good luck with them?

Fossil - I am embarrassed to say that I don't know the condition of Route 66 around here. I need to slow down and quit taking the fast lane all of the time. It does go right through Webb City, 2 miles from my house and home of Bradbury Bishop Deli, great little place and throwback to the past. Also the Cafe on 66 in Galena is supposed to be good and was featured on the Food Network. Going there Sunday so could give you a report. Always wanted to ride 66 and hope to someday. I will look forward to hearing how it worked for you.

Two Wheel - I posted a couple of picks but had some problems. Probably need to edit and re-do sometime down the road.

Hoss - Unbelievable that you are that close. May pass each other on the way to Chicken Annie' someday.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome javarider, I'm up in KC and get to Joplin once in a while for work, in fact will be there next week. Usually have to make a stop by Powersports of Joplin, perhaps we'll run across each other sometime. Take care.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never had any parts color matched and repainted before. In your best opinions do you think it would be more cost effective to go with the matching chrome mirrors and reselling the mis-matched pair I currently have or to just have the one repainted to match the rest of the bike? Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Scott, Cost effectiveness would make more sense to purchase the chrome set. I would be shocked if you could get anyone to even prep the parts for paint for that cost much less buy the paint & labor to apply it. However for the looks of the bike I believe the color matched would give greater appearance.

This as always is just one ole fossil's opinion & everyone here knows how that old cuss doesn't go crazy for "CHROME".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts