Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here and could use advice. I have owned a 84 GL 1200 interstate for a few years now that I really love. But I have a chance to pick up a 1990 GL 1500 with trailer and 54,000 miles. for $4,000 Are there any issues I should be aware of before jumping into the early year 1500's? I am mechanically inclined and most electrical issues I can deal with.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello salukspeed, welcome to GWOF. your only issue will be what to do with your old friend ( the gl1200 )

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Great bikes and welcome to the site salukispeed. The only real issue I know of is the alternators can be a bit weak on the early 1500's. Compufire and a couple others have replacements that are beefier and last far longer than stock. I put 60k on mine and never had a problem, but had no extra lights on it either.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome
Can't think of a thing other than the timing belts because of the age. Changing them is about a two job more or less, but a piece of cake if you go by the manual.
If the bike has a service history go by it, if not change all the fluids including the brakes and clutch. Make sure and ask about the rear splines. Generally these receive grease during rear wheel servicing. Ask about the fork seals and the alternator. If either need to be changed it's no problem, especially the alternator. Sounds as though the bike may have set for sometime with the low mileage. Make sure you don't have a hesitation problem at low speeds.
Those are the major things I can think of right now, I'm sure someone else will join in with other ideas. :)
Ride safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks

Thanks for the welcome I'v worked my butt off getting the 84 up to speed. It sat in a damp shed sinse 1995 with the fuel petcock on so it was filled to the top with jellied nasty gasoline and siezed solid. It has turned out to be very good and very reliable but badly faded ride. It needed all the usual. Carbs rebuilt, stator replaced, water pump replaced, Timing belts, New Dunlops, starter brush plate repair and brushes. and a million hours of TLC. I may give it to my Son if the 1500 turns out good.

If I choose to sell it, Is there a good rule of thumb for a fair price for the old 84 interstate with factory radio. Everything works properly except I need to do fork seals and replace the tubes ( pitted ) I have recipts for $2,500 just in the last two years

What is the low speed stutter thing about on the 1500's

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Pa. Seems like the other folks covered the major 1500 issues. Lots of parts and accessories for the 1500 and many have gone 100,000+ miles with out major problems and only regular maint. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
455 Posts
The low speed shutter doesn't apply just to the 1500's. I was referring to low mileage bikes. The machine you are looking at has an average of 2700 miles a year. In most cases extreme low mileage is just as bad as extreme high mileage in some respect. During the down times as you probably know, without the use of a gasoline additive the fuel will turn to something similar to shellac in the carbs especially in the low speed jets. Even the various additives are not designed to last indefinitely.
Just my 2 cents, hope it helps. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts