Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Ralphumor 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Folks, Basically my story is as follows........started riding with a license at 14 yoa on a Honda Sport 50 in 1968. Which makes me 58 now. Never stopped, owning many 305's, 450's, 750's. I've owned basically all the different brands at one time or other.

Bought my first new HD in 92 and I've been on them since. Started with Heritage's, then on to the Electra Glides including an Ultra. Last one was a Road King which I just recently sold.

My wife and I have ridden all over the US/ up around Canada/ Nova Scotia etc.

In 2009 while riding back from Daytona I was rearended on the freeway by a young lady (22) who probably was texting. She hit me so hard she knocked my Leesure lite camper from my bike and forced me into a stopped car in another lane. I went thru the back glass of the car and wound up inside the car when I awoke. Many, many broken bones and internal stuff. It of course totalled my brand new Street Glide that I owned at that time.

Well, as many of you understand (not many others do) as soon as I was able to get around I started back to riding and bought the Road King.

I decided to ride to Daytona again this past year as a determination/stubboorn thing on the Road King. Stupidly I rode back the 600 or so miles in one day as I'd done in the past many times. I paid for that for the week or so, got iritated and sold the Road King a couple of month ago.

Well, I'm almost done (Sorry for the looong post). I'm now looking at a Goldwing. I'll give ya'll time to stop laughing at another HD guy going Wing. LOL

Here's my question......I'm 606, 320 lbs and still kinda recovering from a broken pelvic bone, broken left wrist (pins) and a broken left leg.(pins and rod) I get around pretty good and want to keep riding and find a bike that I'm comfortable on. At my size what year Goldwing would fit me the best? I like the 2012 but I've read the prior 2010 Wings have more room. I've sat on both but know sitting on a bike in the dealership isn't the same as riding all day.

I have to admit one reason I like the 2012 is the old style emblem on the fairing. I have a 1968 Honda Black Bomber, all original with very low miles and the emblem is very similar.

If you'd like to see it....goggle tri-five on the net (site for 55/56/57 Chevrolets). I'm B/MP on that site also, hit my profile pics and you'll see the pics of the Bomber. Sorry not good at posting pictures.

Anyway I'm done, sorry it was so long. Nice to be here....I watched for awhile and this seems like a great bunch. :) Blake

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum. After all that, it's nice to have you with us. The 'roomiest' GoldWing is the 1500 series, 1988-2000.

#4 ·
welcome from Maryland , wish i could help but ive only been on my 2010 goldwing

#5 ·
Only dimmensional difference in the '12 over the other 1800's is the seat shape and depth. Our member from Ireland (Joey2010) has more s/s rebar in his legs than anyone I know, and he rides a 1500 and BMW GS. He's close to your hieght which is to say he pretty much towers over me diminuitive under 6' frame.

#8 ·
Hi, Blake, and welcome to the GWOF!

Sorry to hear about your injuries. They suck!:mad:

Let us know how you like your '10-'12 GL1800 when you get it!:p:D After a good test drive you will want it, from all I've heard about them, especially the power and handling. There are aftermarket adaptations you can make to improve foot/leg room on about any Wing.

Oh, and post pics when you get it home!:D

#10 ·
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Ride safe.

#12 ·
I have a 2010 which my wife had triked out due to the loss of strength from a cancer surgery gone bad. I am normaly 200 lbs 5'11" now 156 lbs. My wing was very comfy when I had a butt not so good now, so I will be looking for a better seat up the road. Now for the point, the 1500 is the better ride if ride is all you care about. the 1800 is more sporting and faster as if it needed to be ?
Bill

#16 ·
Welcome from down I59 in Fort Payne, Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.