1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally did it - I'm a Dark Dude.
Yokohama ADVAN runflat 205/55/16
Fits perfectly with no rubbing.
PSI currently set at 36 with no triggering of the TPMS warning. I'm going to drop the pressure down to 33 PSI tomorrow morning.

I put on 40 miles on the tires this evening. I likey very muchy
So where do I get my "Darksider Number" ? :)

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Oooooh! A 205. Nice and beefy. A Run flat too. Thanks for trying out the 205, your comments are of interest to me. Darkside # ? Here or over there ? On this forum you are Darkside # 4. Larry is #1, I'm # 2. Dookoo is # 3. If you're talking about " over there ", if you hurry you could be #1140 . But hurry. The numbers go fast :http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sweet! Need more follow up of your CT after a few more miles.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
congrats and hope you like it in the long run. i would try darksiding my 1500 but larry said his rpm's increased in 5th gear and i want a decrease in rpm's

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Doc, go to a higher aspect tire and roll off the throttle a mite, RPM's will drop (em, so might the speed though;)) Nice beefy looking hoop DF. Did you do a reset of the TPMS after mounting as the manual states? BTW, I have to admit you guys are bad... as adamant as I once was you have me thinking..?!**?!! Wow, outside voice speaketh:eek:

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
OK, call me dumb and crazy but somebody explain the economics of this tire to me. First of all, I asked the Honda dealer if they would mount a c/t on my 1800 rim and they told me NO...Flat, NO. I asked a tire and lube place here if they would and they told me NO... So, I assume its tricky trying to find someone to mount the tire. Second of all, in reading the fine print on the sticker on the tire it says in part. " Do not run over 50 mph and 50 miles ( 50 or 40 im not sure) if the tire loses air (puncture). Then comes the important part..."Do not re-inflate if the run-flat feature is used and do not repair the tire". So, if you run over a nail and the tire goes down, and you drive it to a shop, you have to buy a new tire. Cannot be repaired or re-inflated. Since I can't find anyone to mount a C/T I am assuming that if your out on a trip and run over something, you are going to have to buy a M/C tire to replace it anyway. That statement based on the fact that I can't find anyone to mount a C/T on a M/C rim. Now I realize that if you are lucky and don't run over anything and change the tire yourself, its a good deal. But any trouble with the tire while on a trip seems to me to be a justifiable cause for concern. I ran over a metal screw on the rear tire of my bike last year, got it off to the side of the rode, and plugged it, re-inflated it and drove it another 2 k miles before replacing. I don't see that this can be done with the tire above. Am I just being picky or what?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
OK, call me dumb and crazy but somebody explain the economics of this tire to me. First of all, I asked the Honda dealer if they would mount a c/t on my 1800 rim and they told me NO...Flat, NO. I asked a tire and lube place here if they would and they told me NO... So, I assume its tricky trying to find someone to mount the tire. Second of all, in reading the fine print on the sticker on the tire it says in part. " Do not run over 50 mph and 50 miles ( 50 or 40 im not sure) if the tire loses air (puncture). Then comes the important part..."Do not re-inflate if the run-flat feature is used and do not repair the tire". So, if you run over a nail and the tire goes down, and you drive it to a shop, you have to buy a new tire. Cannot be repaired or re-inflated. Since I can't find anyone to mount a C/T I am assuming that if your out on a trip and run over something, you are going to have to buy a M/C tire to replace it anyway. That statement based on the fact that I can't find anyone to mount a C/T on a M/C rim. Now I realize that if you are lucky and don't run over anything and change the tire yourself, its a good deal. But any trouble with the tire while on a trip seems to me to be a justifiable cause for concern. I ran over a metal screw on the rear tire of my bike last year, got it off to the side of the rode, and plugged it, re-inflated it and drove it another 2 k miles before replacing. I don't see that this can be done with the tire above. Am I just being picky or what?
That's a lot to answer for. I'll start here. My local Honda Powersport Dealer will mount a CT if I ask them to. I had mine mounted at a franchised tire/ lube store. It's not illegal to mount. A tire is a tire and a rim is a rim. You have a lot of registered Darkside riders in Texas and I know thy are not driving to Billings Montana to get a tire put on. As far as flats : a flat is a flat. " Run-flat " tires have a thicker side wall, nothing more, nothing less, than a non run-flat. If it penetrates the sidewall, plugging is not an option regardless of the type of tire. Better chance finding a CT shop than a motorcycle shop open on Sunday ( albeit a 16" rim size isn't considered in high demand on today's cars ) . Don't expect any positive responses form the Motorcycle industry on a car tire. Each protects their own turf.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Doc, go to a higher aspect tire and roll off the throttle a mite, RPM's will drop (em, so might the speed though;)) Nice beefy looking hoop DF. Did you do a reset of the TPMS after mounting as the manual states? BTW, I have to admit you guys are bad... as adamant as I once was you have me thinking..?!**?!! Wow, outside voice speaketh:eek:
been searching but cant't find the right tire with a higher aspect ratio

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
You will like it. I have ran a CT since the 1800 came out. Have never had a Motorcycle Tire on since then. Been thru two 1800's and don't see myself ever not using a CT on one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
been searching but cant't find the right tire with a higher aspect ratio
I'm running the Dunlop Sport 5000 on my 2010 Wing--195/60/16. It's 25.2 inches tall--the OEM MC tire is 24.8 so I picked up 1 MPH actual over the speedo.

It's not a run-flat but that's fine with me--myself I don't feel the need to go run-flat. The increased load rating of 1257 lbs. is a big enough increase in durability over a MC tire for me and the tire only weighs 20 lbs. The guys running run-flats admit that a RF tire is more sluggish in the handling area--it makes sense that the heavier your gyroscope the more effort it will take to lean it. Many feel the trade-off is worth the extra security of knowing your tire can't go down. With my TPMS and being sensitive to the feel of the bike I'll know if my tire is gradually deflating--I can plug it to get home. Anything big enough to cause a sudden deflation--road debris--I'm gonna be aware of the instant it happens so I can't imagine a run-flat really making the difference. If I keep the bike up I'll probably have enough damage that I'll need to get the bike hauled off the road anyway.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Congrats Kid61! Keep us updated on the tire, its one I looked at before deciding to go RF. As far as feeling sluggish, I didn't notice any difference upon the switch from MT to CT. Maybe some are more sensitive than me. The biggest selling point for going RF was if I got a flat in a remote or dangerous area, that I could continue driving until I found a safe place to make repairs, instead of around, let's say, a blind curve. Especially when two-up. What pressure you running(?) & Keep us posted.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What pressure you running(?) & Keep us posted.
I'm running 40 PSI primarily to keep the TPMS happy but I'm finding the higher pressure really helps it feel more like a MC tire than when I ran this tire at 30 on my cruiser. I'm sure over time the center will wear out faster but honestly I don't really care. It's smooth, quiet, stable, and leans easy with no noticeable lift from the profile. If it lasts 8k miles and doesn't cup and howl then it's definitely a winner. It's got 4k on it now and I can't see where it's worn much yet--looks pretty much just like it did when I put it on. :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts