Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '86 GL1200 Aspencade over the weekend. A big step up from the Nighthawk 750 I've been riding the last three years.

Suggestions for a complete newbie are welcomed. Original Craigslist ad is here: http://boulder.craigslist.org/mcy/2558699996.html

Paint is very faded, the bike is pretty dirty, so I suspect I'll have some work to do. It does cold start well, but seems pretty loud to me... may just be the difference in engine size.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello gimble, welcome to GWOF. congrats on the purchase of the new wing. 1200 wings and all wings are quiet bikes with the stock un-modded exhaust but some owners just have to have some noise

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum....750 to 1200 is a big step, but you will get used to the change and never look back.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from Pa and congrats on your new Wing. Ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

One of the first things you will want to check are the three yellow wires to the left of the battery. They originally went through a connector that had a tendency to overheat and melt. Make sure it has been repaired correctly or it could cause severe problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
The battery is under the left side cover, the right side cover on your bike is burgundy. Carefully remove the cover by pulling it straight out from the bike.

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
Congratulations on your 1200 wing from Down Under. Still a newbe to the wing world but I am clocking them miles up fast. Eric

·
Registered
119 Posts
Congrats on your new-to-you 1200! Shine it up real purdy & put some miles on it.

I went from a 150cc scooter to a GL1100 in one step (about 10 years ago), and that was pretty scary!

I don't know how much mechanic stuff you do, but I do hardly any & the first thing I did when I got my GL1100, GL1200 & GL1500 was pay a professional mechanic that likes wings to look it over from one end to the other. Tires & brakes, tires & brakes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The battery is under the left side cover, the right side cover on your bike is burgundy. Carefully remove the cover by pulling it straight out from the bike.
Ah, thank you. I just briefly removed the cover last night, it was easy to remove. I'd read about the connector being a problem, and I'll look to find it this weekend when I have time.

I'm now gathering stuff for an oil change, learned how to (just barely) get the bike on the center stand, and viewed the video on getting the bike up (although I haven't had the time/guts to try that one yet). YouTube can be amazing. The center stand was a challenge: I've been losing weight and even with the YouTube tricks I'm just barely able to get it up.

Best so far is I found an owner's manual scan on the web, it was *very* helpful. The Wing is a more complicated bike than the Nighthawk, and basic things on the NH was about the limit of my mechanic abilities.

A trip to a knowledgable Wing mechanic is on my to-do list, but until I find "the guy" I'm guessing I can keep her running with less abuse than previous owners. I know another Wing owner (GL1800) so I may ask him who he uses.

Thanks for the advice on the thread!

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I watched every video out there and could not make it happen...bought tore a calf muscle.
The key is to be sure you put your heal on the stand and set the bike upright (with the handle bars straight) until it balances on the stand. Once its balanced...then you can do the push pull method.

I always worried about it flipping to the other side until I understood it would balance on the stand. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I watched every video out there and could not make it happen...bought tore a calf muscle.
The key is to be sure you put your heal on the stand and set the bike upright (with the handle bars straight) until it balances on the stand. Once its balanced...then you can do the push pull method.

I always worried about it flipping to the other side until I understood it would balance on the stand. Good Luck
I am telling you guys to find somebody with a "Ride Off Center Stand" and try that out. It takes about 1/5 the effort to put the bike on the center stand. Its the neatest thing since sliced bread for the GW. It's not perfect but pretty close to it. I had mine put on at the Honda dealership for $40 and it was $40 well spent. They had the tools and expertise to do it quickly and I haven't had a problem yet. Us older coots need all the help we can get and this is one of them. :D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome gimble. Centre stand is alot fo technique rather than braun, but it's the braun in the learning stages that's kind of intimidating. My 1800 is easier to put on the stand than my ST1300 was:confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts