Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the 709/706 set mounted on the Wing on Friday. My hat's off to Don and Vance at Riverside Honda in St Albert for their awesome job getting me in and out so fast and efficiently!!! To any of you in the Edmonton vicinity I can only say good things about the way I was looked after there.
After almost 20,000 km on the D250 OEM rubber, (I'm more than impressed with them all round too) I can say that my first impression of the 'stones is they are silky smooth and handle fabulously. My first jaunt was a daring (ok read "illegal") dash down the Groat Road to test them out. those of you that know the road understand it's a great place to let her run a bit without being so stupid as to really cross over into the land of the insane squid, but still allow the bike do what it is actually able to do. Traffic was light and no Leos around so...:D. Out on the highway on the ride home, she was quiet, rock stable and sooooo smooth. I'd say that is a fair bit to do with the difference in the prior year's Wings and the '12 model's smooth differences. The bike now has a much more 'on center' feel and really stays planted on a line in corners. Handling responser is way more direct and responsive, and the heel over transition is clean and predictable. This could be as much from the wear on the old shoes and replacement with new rubber than the tread design of the 'stones so time will tell the story there. I'll post more as the miles rack up.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Keep us posted on how you like them after a few weeks or months. Have always run Dunlops but there are new formulas and treads out all the time. Thanks for the post.

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
Nothing like a new pair of shoes..... Hope they wear well..

·
Administrator
29,019 Posts
Keep us informed Old Red One.:D

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
I really liked the 709 front tire.....reasonably priced, great handling. I just wish they lasted longer. It's probably my fault though...you could say I'm a spirited rider. ;)

Mark

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know there isn't enough time and mileage on the tires to say just how good they are, but I love these things! The ride and handling response is incredible. If they only last half as long as the OEM tires I will still be happy. I've never had the road feel and absolute confidence that these tires give me on a Wing, ever. It's only been a few hundred miles but man are they awesome.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1000 km update. I know 600 miles isn't any real testament to what these tires bring to the table, but here's what I know so far: These tires corner like nothing I've ever encountered on a Goldwing. While the bike has always been very good in the twisties, it's an absolute joy now. The roll-over from straight to turning is so smooth and effortless it's amazing. If the 1800 had a sport bike's soul before, it's uncanny now. It practically begs to get tossed back and forth in s-bends. It is totally stable and stays planted on line until further input is given. Changing your line in a corner is no problem at any speed I've tested so far, something that you can't often do without some hair raising drama depending on how aggressive you get. I know what my RC says to me if I try that on it:eek: I actually had an encounter with some loose highway chips during our poker run a couple weeks back. A high speed sweeper and mid corner there was the nightmare of all bikers: loose chips everywhere. A couple of the others in the group got the bejeebers scared out of them, but the Wing stayed firm and stable right through it. Luck? maybe, but I'd shudder to think what could have happend on the Dunlops under the same conditions.
So here's the one negative I've noticed thus far. These tires are extremely sensitive to steering input. They react immediately and directly. I glanced over my shoulder at a vehicle on an approach and in the one or two seconds that my eyes were shifted I completely crossed over to the other side of my lane. Not a probelm as long as you're paying strict attention to where you are going (as you should be) but there are times when you need to look sideways or even back so its something to be wary of.
The true test will come when we're out on the road to Kalispell. Two up and loaded for bear over a fair lengthy ride and I'll have more info to share. Plus maybe a couple others should some of the gang care to take my two wheeled warrior for a spin. Later:D

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Budoka,

Awesome review....I agree with your assessment. But unlike what your signature say's....I DO have a car tire on my bike! :p

Mark

·
Registered
654 Posts
The true test will come when we're out on the road to Kalispell. Two up and loaded for bear over a fair lengthy ride and I'll have more info to share. Plus maybe a couple others should some of the gang care to take my two wheeled warrior for a spin. Later:D
Awwww. I'm a bit disappointed. I thought you were going to make the jump to the Darkside. Now you have to wait a bit longer for those Stones to wear out before you begin thinking about your next tire. Now I really wish I could have met up with you in Kalispell so that you could ride my CT shod Wing (much superior for two-up). On a different subject, I'm currently at the Buell paddock at Laguna Seca (MotoGp weekend!) looking at their new racebikes. Remember to look me up if you ever want to visit the GP!

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're on the radar my friend, and the Laguna MotoGP is high on the bucket list. I'm away visiting relatives this weekend, but you can bet the PVR will be doing it's thing.
Yes it's too bad we can't hook up at the meet; I'll bet you've forgotten how good a Wing handles on a m/c tire! Bwahahahahaha
Seriously it was a toss-up between the 'stones and Avons. One ride on the '12 sold me on the 704/709. Remember I already have a mounted D250 sitting in the garage, but the TPMS programmer kept me from using it. Dang tire will be out of date buy the time I need it now. Maybe the wheel will do for a trial c/t;) when the Stones are done. Should have the bugs out of the recalibration units by then. Or I could sell the wheel set-up and spend the cash on a trip to California some race weekend...hmmmmmm:cool:

·
Administrator
15,310 Posts
The end of next year when I need tires again I will look at these. Glad you like them. You make me want to ride to Kallispel just to take you up on the offer of a test ride.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
1000 km update. I know 600 miles isn't any real testament to what these tires bring to the table, but here's what I know so far: These tires corner like nothing I've ever encountered on a Goldwing. While the bike has always been very good in the twisties, it's an absolute joy now. The roll-over from straight to turning is so smooth and effortless it's amazing. If the 1800 had a sport bike's soul before, it's uncanny now. It practically begs to get tossed back and forth in s-bends. It is totally stable and stays planted on line until further input is given. Changing your line in a corner is no problem at any speed I've tested so far, something that you can't often do without some hair raising drama depending on how aggressive you get. I know what my RC says to me if I try that on it:eek: I actually had an encounter with some loose highway chips during our poker run a couple weeks back. A high speed sweeper and mid corner there was the nightmare of all bikers: loose chips everywhere. A couple of the others in the group got the bejeebers scared out of them, but the Wing stayed firm and stable right through it. Luck? maybe, but I'd shudder to think what could have happend on the Dunlops under the same conditions.
So here's the one negative I've noticed thus far. These tires are extremely sensitive to steering input. They react immediately and directly. I glanced over my shoulder at a vehicle on an approach and in the one or two seconds that my eyes were shifted I completely crossed over to the other side of my lane. Not a probelm as long as you're paying strict attention to where you are going (as you should be) but there are times when you need to look sideways or even back so its something to be wary of.
That's a great car tire review.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Somehow I knew this would end up twisted.:rolleyes: Read me signature fer gosh sakes;):p

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Somehow I knew this would end up twisted.:rolleyes: Read me signature fer gosh sakes;):p
Your sig says NO NO NO!!!! But your heart says YES YES YES!!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Read not to refute or agree, but to weigh and ponder:D

OK so after almost 3000 km (2000 mi) on the Exedra 709/706 combo I have to say they are nothing but impressive. The cornering ability is fabulous and they're quiet and smooth. As much as the little lady would indulge me (not wanting a serious beating while riding) I tested the corninering limits on our trip to as much extent as I could without invoking the wrath of the 'great spirit'. That meant I had to refrain from dragging any hard parts in the twisties but could still push the envelope a tad. I didn't get right to the edge of the tread pattern but there's some serious scuffing up to the edge of the 'chicken strips' with just under a half inch of tread to go to the edge of the carcass of the tire. The lower (south) side of the Glacier Park road would have been "the" place to do a good solo test of the 'stones cornering prowess, but whith herself on the back and riding in a group isn't the time or place to be a Casey Stoner wannabe. High temps and good roads leave a very confidence inspiring feel with them and the lack of tread whine is very welcome. I did have the opportunity on Sunday afternoon to wring it out a bit between Radium Hot Springs and Banff at some pretty fair speeds (thankfully Smokey took the afternoon off) and some pretty serious lean anlges at said speeds. Marvelous! I'd like to try some Avons or Metzlers to compare the handling feel, but I'm going to be hard pressed to stay away from the Exedras in the future. Cliff (Wingrat) and I are in complete agreement on the front, but I forgot to ask him what he runs with on the back of his 1800.
We also had the dubious honour of testing the rain performance on Monday going up the Icefield Parkway. Cold (6*c/43*f) pavement and pouring rain (at times) left me with no misgivings or worries that I'd break traction in the wet. The bike accelerated with gusto and cornered like glue on the tightest corners regardless of standing water. Obviously I wasn't being a GP junkie in the cold and wet, but I was impressed with the rain performance, even if it did take away the photo ops on our first together run up the road in almost 30 years.

Conclusion on initial test of these new tires: I'm 100% sold on their performance. No we'll see how they stand the test of time and wear. 20,000 km is a pretty fair benchmark to make.

·
Administrator
15,310 Posts
Thanks, I’m pondering….I’ll look at these the next time I need a set. Looking forward to hearing how they do on mileage.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Daryl, perhaps the Exedra 709 is a much different tire than the Exedra Max which I have on the front. Both Larry and I have the Max mounted on our front and we both find them very noisy. Other than that though no other problems. How's the noise level of the 709's for you?

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They seem whisper quiet, but then my old Dunflops were worn pretty bad and they were horribly loud, almost buzzy so anything is going to seem quiet after that. I did get some noise out of them at some pretty crazy lean angles, but that was getting pretty near the edge of the tread pattern, understandable I reckon as that's the heaviest of the tread groves in that last half inch.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
They seem whisper quiet, but then my old Dunflops were worn pretty bad and they were horribly loud, almost buzzy so anything is going to seem quiet after that. I did get some noise out of them at some pretty crazy lean angles, but that was getting pretty near the edge of the tread pattern, understandable I reckon as that's the heaviest of the tread groves in that last half inch.
The noise I'm hearing is at 0 lean angles on a straight track. I certainly cannot claim whisper quiet on mine. Perhaps there is a big difference in the tires. I think I paid 117.00 USD. Perhaps the 709 is more expensive and a better quality tire.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No they weren't cheap by any stretch. I got the front from Wingstuff for $140 +shipping I think, and the rear I got through the shop here was $275 Cdn:eek: even with my staff discount. Then it cost me $200 to get them mounted including wheel removal and re-installation. We have no m/c certified tire techs in town here so I had to go into the city to get them done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts