Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my name is Fred. I'm a rider of 28 yrs who is looking at buying my first Goldwing. I have owned a HD Sporters, Honda Magna, KLR 650, K750 BMW, 1150RS BMW and now a Triumph Tiger. I have ridden over 100K on two wheels and would really like to find a better two up bike. I'm really not sure about the GW because of the size. I'm only 44, and in good shape.

Another of my concerns would be major maintance, brake life(yes I know this would depend a lot on how I would ride it), tire life of rear tire, and other possible things that could go bad. This is one reason I'm looking to get rid of the Tiger, it has cost me too much in this year alone. I have only had it for 4 yrs, but only have 15,000 miles on it. The other reason is I really like to ride and so does my wife, but the Tiger is really not the best for this. So any advise or suggestions would be great.

I have work as an auto mechanic for twenty years, and work at a Honda bike shop for 6 months, so I do know my way around them.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Welcome to the forum and greetings from Florida.
You'll have no problem riding a Wing, it just looks intimidating. They are very nice bikes, find a decent GL-1500 and have a blast. I have a 1993 GL-1500 Aspencade and in the 4 years I've had it, I had one major part go bad (the alternator), changed the timing belts at 56,000 miles, the brakes are still good and I've replaced two sets of tires because of nails and change the oil every 2500 miles. The bike is good for 300,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Where is home for you?? The Wing is a great 2-up bike for touring. Don't let the size scare you. It handles very nicely. Hope you find yours. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Welcome from vermont! You will get used to the size!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome from Ontario Canda derf225. My wife loves the Wing as much as I do and I swear if I sold it, she'd be the next one out the door :) They are THE touring bike.
Enjoy the site and ride safe,
Strat

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Fred,
Welcome to GWOF. I am a little older than you. Just bought a wing this spring-my 5th bike but moved from a 1100 shadow to a gl1500.

I am not disappointed at all. We are having a blast. There is a list of things I have done and still going to do this winter. It's not that expensive as I am spinning the wrenches.
I think you will find that brakes don't wear as badly as on other bikes, tires last longer and the engines are very dependable- I believe I am investing my time and money wisely.

I bought a 95 SE that ran good with 40k miles. I made sure I had money left over to get it back to as new and still in the process. It is hard to stop riding as winter approaches. But by next spring, I will have all new belts, hoses, tires, brakes and fluids. In my mind, it should run for several years as the components that fail will be all new.

Whatever you buy, if more than 5 years old, budget some extra dollars for all fluids and rubber. Get those things replaced as you dig into it and see the need, then go enjoy it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm originally from PA, I'm in the military, so now I'm living in FL for the next 7 to 15 months for training. So I will have some time to ride. Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome derf. Wings handle great, and the maintenance woes of your Tiger will soon be a distant memory.Two up is the Wing's domain.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I bought an 94 1500 Interstate due to the 2up situation.

My girl friend didn't like to ride on the c50 Suzuki, the 1600 Nomad Kawasaki or the 1100 Honda Shadow. I test rode a Kawasaki Concours and figured she wouldn't ride on that either.

She tolerated the wide saddle on the Suzuki Burgman 400 and my Honda Silverwing 600, but the Wing, she says is very comfortable.

·
Registered
105 Posts
derf225,
I'm 42 and have ridden bikes for over 25 yrs. When I got my first 2010 Goldwing 3 mos ago I was a little neverous also, but you have nothing to worry about my friend. This bike is AWESOME! It handles great in the curves and it is comfortable to ride up two ALL day long.
Get one, you will not REGRET!!!!!!! :D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello derf225, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
LARRYINSEATTLE, wrote
I bought an 04 1500 Interstate due to the 2up situation.
There is no such thing

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
derf225, depending on which wing you are looking at maintenance cost will vary a little, the 1500 Gold Wing had solid lifters and need no valve adjustments and have bias belted tires and they will last longer than the radials on the GL 1800 Gold Wing, The 1500 Gold Wing has timing belts that should be changed around 70,000 miles along with the alternator brushes, brakes are easy to do and if you have them done when having tires put on they usually won't charge any extra labor. The 1500 Wing is bullet proof and you will get a lot of miles from one if taken care of, 200,000 is not hard to get on a 1500. The 1800 wing has to have a valve check at 32,000, not to bad if they don't need adjusting and 99% of them don't need adjusting. Tires are radials and you should get between 10 & 15,000 miles from them, again depending on which tires you run. The air filter on the 1800 is a lot harder to get to than the one on the 1500 and if your not used to turning a wrench that will cost you a couple hours labor at the dealer, but depending on the area you ride in this only has to be done about every 25 to 30,000 miles. Both bikes are great but there is a big difference the performance and handling between them, The 1800 is a lot sportier than the 1500, ride both and see which one fits you best.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have owned my 08' GL1800 for about 6 weeks now. It is an amazing bike to ride. It has enough power to get you out of tricky situations, very smooth handling, and good gas mileage. I am 49 and have not ridden in about 9 years. I jumped on my wing and felt comfortable right away. The weight is not a problem. the adjustable suspension is nice when riding 2up. There are some very good deals out there on 2008 GL1800's if you just spend a little time looking around. Good luck, I'm sure you will love it!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Welcome, buy the Wing, it is all good!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Weldome from Goddard, Ks. I recently just switched over to the Goldwing myself. I have owned a FLHT Harley, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, Honda Shadow 1100 and a Honda CB 350. I just purchased a 1984 GW aspencade 1200. I haven't ridden in about 2 years but when I got on the wing it just all came back to me. No vibrations, No loud noise and man it was comfortable. Do it, I promise you won't regret it. I will be upgrading in 2012 but thought the 1200 would get me ready for a newer one. Good luck in whatever you decide and keep both wheels on the ground!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Welcome from Down under!

I'm around the same age and had a 15 year gap being off bikes all together! Always dreamed of owning a Wing and knew i would get one one day, we bought our 09 Luxury this year without even test riding it (did not want to spoil the moment) rode out of the dealership with the bride on the back like i'd been riding every day for my whole life! Have not looked back, the only challenge is to stop buying bling for it! lol
You will love it, she will love it! do it and you wont regret it...........
Nothing short of great

·
Registered
793 Posts
When I stepped up to my 83 Yamaha Venture 1200 from a 78 Suzuki GS 550 it was a little bit of getting used to being such a big jump in your early 30's. But going from a Tiger to a wing shouldn't be a big deal. The wife and I just completed a trip from just south of Cleveland, Oh to Key West and back with minimal problems even though we turned 100,000 miles on the odo during the trip and pushing 101,000. 500 mile days are no problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts