Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new battery went dead today, just replaced in August. Dealer said it was completely shot and replaced it warranty.

When I re-installed after charging, touching the terminal I drew a small arc on the terminal. retouched again and no spark much like a capacitor charging. Waited a while and touched with a spark and retried again and no spark. Not a dead short but my question is

does the clock and some other electronics cause this small arc or should I be looking for a faulty componet???

thanks in advance

·
Registered
365 Posts
spark?

Yes, the clock is always drawing a small amount of energy to maintain the memory. But, if the spark is large..something else is staying on..maybe a sticking relay. I'm no expert by any measure, someone who knows more will be along I'm sure.:)

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
The clock and radio memory draw a little to hold the information. A small spark may be present.
A large spark like mentioned above would indicate a stuck relay, an accessory or added lights or something that would be live when the battery is connected.
I know in the service manual it lists the draw from the negative battery cable to the negative battery post with a meter in line and key off. If there is excess draw then something is active.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone seen the spark at first, then touch again with no spark and then let sit a couple of minutes, touch it again with a spark? Like I said it seems just like a capacitor charging and dis-charging..??

Many thanks for the inputs

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
There is a capacitor located on the rear of the alternator that is hot all the time, it is a filter capacitor for the electronics. If you have a CB installed there is also another filter capacitor mounted on the side of the alternator that is hot all the time. I don't recall seeing any sparking when I reconnect my battery, but then again, the spark may be so little I didn't notice it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not unusual on any vehicle as the computer, radio,welcome all have memories. A small spark is normal but any digital meter should have an amp setting. Put the leads in line between the neg post and the cable. should be very small draw. If over 1 amp something is wrong!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input. Ive been on the road with it without incident, (except a flat tire), I am beginning to wonder if one of the grand kids left a trunk light on. At least that is my story..

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
The arc was probably the typical one. You probably just got a bum battery initially.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
That's why it's so important to use a battery tender regularly. Espicially one with a 'refresh' mode. Not that it doesn't mean that you can't get a bummer batery right off the shelf (it does happen) but it will give much extended service life on a good battery.

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
+1 for the battery tender. Best investment for a Wing..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just replaced the battery on my 1990 GW. It lasted from April 2004. The battery tender in the answer. The amp draw should be checked as was recommended to determine if there is too much draw for the battery to stay charged and ready to go.
I use a battery tender on all of my vehicles and have had great success with good longevity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts