Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a 1978 Gold Wing and it was asking for new battery since previous owner let it sitting on storage and had to jump start. Also it was struggling to start and was requiring some help to fire up.
Did buy a new battery, filled up and charged. Replaced old with new battery and fired it up.
At first, engine rev’d up and turned on for a few seconds until died. Engine responded and turned on another couple of times dying right after, but this time doing some smoke and burnt smell. Another try to turn engine on and not a single gasp.
I am not very acquainted mechanic but reading thru this forum I couldn’t get anything too conclusive. Facts are:
1. Battery has charge, electrical system turns on (headlights, panel, etc)
2. No response when hitting “start”, just a low and short click
3. Burnt smell near battery but no sign of dead terminals

Can this be something as simple as spark plug? Or should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!
Felipe

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

First check the battery cables, make sure they are clean and tight. Check the starter solenoid and associated wiring. Also make sure the negative cable has a good clean connection where it attaches to the frame.

Reactions: NREMTP and budoka

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
So by "smell" do you mean electrical burnt smell? As my pal above mentions, that very well could be loose or poor connection(s).

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I checked the solenoid behind battery mount and there were melted electrical tape and very rusted connectors, including the fuse. I can't precise where that smell came from but will try a few things like replacing the solenoid (arriving this week).
Thanks a lot for the tips guys and I will keep you posted once I get it solved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, all fixed! Thanks a lot for all the help!

Sharing my experience to all fellas from our group... so I did replaced the solenoid and while doing it I noticed the sub-wire (oem 32213-371-000) had one of the ends loose, it is very old and rusted. After installing new solenoid part I amended cables using some electrical tape and it is finally working!! My take is that bad wiring caused solenoid to short, which explains that burnt smell.

Took a ride around the block and bike is running fine. Of course there are some things to be repaired but nothing that will prevent me from riding.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Thank you for the followup. Glad you are able to ride.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not to be a smart azz here, BUT now that you found the bad electrical wire was the culprit, (good job by the way) I'd do more then just use electrical tape to keep them together... I solder them, so they would never come apart....Tape is not an forever fix.........and as mentioned above, thanks for the follow-up, this will indeed help others that may have the same problem...

Ronnie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts