Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a Goldwing, It is a 1988 GL1500 and looks great. I did some work on trade for it. Have always wanted a one. The problem is the previous owner let is set for about 14 months with gas in it and no fuel stabalizer.

Just rolled it into the garage and now have to figure out where to go next. The previous owner said when he last rode it, it ran fine, but I noticed there is no oil showing in the resevoir for the clutch. There were no oil spots on the ground and I could find no sign of any external leaks.

My daughter just started college so this project is on a tight budget. Any thoughts on how to tackle this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Signed,
Finally a Goldwing Owner

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Well first,
go get a service manual as it sounds you will be doing alot of the work yourself. There is no forum that can replace this-it is invaluable to work on one.

remove, clean and reinstall the carbs.
syncronize the carbs
change the timing belts- well documented here that $50 is less than a new motor
check/change the plugs
replace the air filters (3) of them
replace the gas filter
check the vacuum lines and be prepared to replace them as they are probably brittle or collapsed.

I would get it running asap after cleaning the carbs first to make sure it is worth the time / money. If it looks like the owner/owners kept it up, it probably is.

Just went thru this in July and it was a good way to get to know the bike.
Others will chime in with good info but do the have-to's first to spend your money wisely.

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
All the above is solid advice. I'd also flush the clutch reservior/brake reservior too, especially since the clutch appears low. Check your coolant level and colour, and do a thorough inspection of the tyres. They are all that's between your a$$ and the pavement.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Replace the fuel lines
Change the oil and filter
Change the coolant

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Looks like folks have given you a big "to do" list of things. That should keep you busy for a while. Main thing is to get it road worthy. Fluids, new fuel and tire check for sure. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello 88wingrider and welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow I thought I had posted here...
Same story...
1988 GL1500
Old Guy gave it to me sat on his carport for 3yrs...outdoors...
Found myself a super wing wizard mechanic people from states away go to...
He...
Flushed everything...
Rearend
Radiator
Engine
Cleaned up carbs (took em off)
Replaced gasket on top of gas tank
Replaced rear power shock (blew out on first test ride 250 miles)
Cleaned up and replaced a corroded terminal in ignition switch
Timing belts (whether they needed it or not)

Thing runs like new now
got about $1100 in it..but what the hey...it was a gift for free to start with...

All the advice here sounds good
Basically flush anything that has liquid in it or grease
and double check/rebuild/overhaul all the life safety areas:
Brakes/Rubber/Lights/timing belts...etc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts