Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on a new 90 volt Alternator on my 96 1500 Interstate. Now the bike won't start. It won't even turn over, just get a little clicking sound when I hit the starter. If I short out the solinoid it will turn over but won't start, like the key is off. There was only one wire on the hot post and one small wire that I plugged in to the harness where I took the old one out of. What am I missing??

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome AZ, wish I was more electrically inclined. Hopefully one of our wizards has an idea for you. Pretty sure it will be something simple in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Did you possibly bump the reverse lever?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
This might be a stupid question, did you disconnect the battery before changing your alternator? Check your fuses.
There are only two wires that come off the alternator, one is from the ignition (the small wire) and the other is the white wire that feeds the battery and the fuse block. IIRC correctly fuse number 11 is your starter relay fuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alternator

I did disconnect the battery before I switched out the alternator. What I since discovered today is that the small wire off the alternator is ground but the wire it plugs into is hot. This obviously blew the ing fuse. I disconnected the small wire and now everything seems to be working fine. I'm not sure why the new alternator is wired backwards. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I did disconnect the battery before I switched out the alternator. What I since discovered today is that the small wire off the alternator is ground but the wire it plugs into is hot. This obviously blew the ing fuse. I disconnected the small wire and now everything seems to be working fine. I'm not sure why the new alternator is wired backwards. Any suggestions?
The small wire that connects to the alternator plug should be "hot" with the ignition in the on position, if you are getting a "ground" condition at the alternator then check the capacitor that is mounted on the rear of the alternator, if it is shorted this will put a ground condition on this wire. You can check it with a ohm meter for a direct short or you can remove it from the circuit and check to see if you still blow fuses. This capacitor is used as a filter cap for your electronics, it cuts down on alternator whine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip Terry. It will be a week till I get home again to tinker on it. I'll do the testing again. I'll let u know what I figure out.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Well done, Terryj! We welcome any and all electrical expertise in this Forum. You join folks like TrikeLady who help those of us who are "electrically/electronically challenged!":eek::D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts