Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Looking
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an informational FYI I thought I'd leave this here for those like myself that are considering the 2021 model as a consideration. Found a lot to like about the next iteration of the Honda Gold Wing, the 2021 but the price tag is going to take some getting used to though. Enjoy the tour. Found some new features that sounds promising. But then what do I know as I've owned a lot of bikes over the years but never a Gold Wing. This will be my first. I'm looking forward to it.

·
Super Moderator
14,564 Posts
Thanks. This may be a retirement gift to myself, but with that price I may have to work a couple more years.

·
Registered
Looking
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. This may be a retirement gift to myself, but with that price I may have to work a couple more years.
Yeow is what I too said to myself when I saw that price. I'm going to need to see this one up close before taking the plunge. But mine will become a Trike hopefully with a CSC Trike kit installed so that'll be pushing the ride out price right on up there, breathing down the neck of $48-50k. Guess I should count myself lucky with my bank already guaranteeing me a solid $50k loan to buy it. Won't need all that though as I'll also put about 10-15% of the total cost down myself. But still that is a lot of money for a bike, any bike. But is sure is nice and so beautiful. Not married and most is all paid off so I may just go for it. Damnnnnn............

·
Super Moderator
11,940 Posts
It's for certain I'll never get one. Looks like I'm stuck with my 2004.

Reactions: Ron Hill

·
Registered
Looking
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's for certain I'll never get one. Looks like I'm stuck with my 2004.
In that case you can always dream. I've done a lot of that in the past myself. And yes that is a lot of money for a bike. Only since I've retired can I begin to afford the kind of things I couldn't before. Guess I'm lucky, make about 50% more in retirement than when I was working. But I know whence you speak of.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I maybe wrong but I believe the price stated is Canadian dollar . In US that would be $29,800 in todays exchange rate.

·
Registered
Looking
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I maybe wrong but I believe the price stated is Canadian dollar . In US that would be $29,800 in todays exchange rate.
I hope you're right. And thanks for the catch. That price makes much more sense and is more palatable to me.

Checked and you're correct:

29,085.85 US Dollars
38,000 CAD to USD = 29,085.85 US Dollars.Nov 11, 2020

·
Registered
395 Posts
My 2010 Miata Convertible sure looks nice for only 15,500 when I bought it new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Canadian dollars is a lot better than English Pounds Sterling which would convert to over $50k U.S.
The mileage numbers were a pretty good range when converted to U.S. MPG - in Sport Mode (which almost makes me lose the bike if not for the backrest) it is 32.5 MPG but in Econ Mode it is a healthy 50.1 MPG. Touring Mode is plenty peppy for me and gas mileage is not as important as being out on the open road on a superb bike like this.

·
Registered
Looking
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I was riding back in 2010 when my VA Orthopedic surgeon took me off my bike for an interminable period of time after the last set of broken bones to my left heel, in 11 places and not counting the 33 broken bones to my left femur in 1986. The bike was a Suzuki Boulevard 1500. Softest tail I've ever ridden for sure. Not terribly fast (125-130 mph) but incredibly smooth and easy handling especially in the curves. Pic taken at the side door to the VFW post in Cleveland TX on my way in to see a live band and to dance my butt off with lots of pretty ladies there for the same reasons. I used to do a lot of that in my heyday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Read the spec sheet. So what's different about the 2021? That's really the only important thing about a 2021 discussion, right?
What are the new items you found?
For anyone worried about price, even in US dollars, I've now seen two 2018+ Wings on showroom floors in WA state and AZ, discounted off of MSRP by $6,000. Add fees to that maybe but still.....
Bought mine in 2018 for a negotiated $1200 discount with no fees, and still kicking myself.
There's no way someone is going to convince me that this bike is selling well with discounts like these.

·
Registered
Looking
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm the OP on this thread and now I have a question in keeping with me wanting to buy soon, at least when the 2021 is released/available. It seems I'm getting closer to making the decision on what to buy or how to outfit a new Honda Trike combo from scratch. I'm leaning hard towards the CSC Trike kit brand, any feedback on this brand would be appreciated. For me its the cosmetics of the brand. I just love how the kit looks. Is there a difference in the Touring models I should know about? Keep in mind I'm 70yo, 6', and 300# with my weight fluctuating between 265 and 310 over a period of about 6-+ months (not untypical of a full blown diabetic).

I'll be traveling to the Ft Worth area, Grapevine specifically, to talk with the DFW Honda dealer there. It's about a 6 hour one way drive for me and I'll possibly stay overnight. Now I have a pretty good idea the questions I need to ask the salesman there, when initially speaking with the salesman but not sure knowing what all I should be asking him/her but I'd like some feedback from some of you guys who have maybe more experience with the Honda Trike, especially if you bought yours new and if not at least some of the questions you'd be asking if you were buying one new as I will likely be doing. I'm looking at spending a lot of money buying a new 2021 Honda Trike bike so naturally I don't want to not ask the right questions when ordering it and regret it later. So how about it fellas? Care to share your thoughts? :unsure:

On another note here. Have any of you taken the motorcycle safety course as required by the Texas Dept of Public Safety on a three wheeler before acquiring a 'M' designation on you drivers license? I need to take the course as required and a local Harley Dealer (Kingwood) said I could take it on a three wheeler and they have a course and the service at their location in Kingwood. Said it was a three day course. I have not a clue what's involved though. They furnish a 500cc 2 wheel bike for the course to use but I must furnish my own 3 wheel ride as I have a much diminished capacity to ride a two wheeler due to past injuries that keep me off of two wheelers these days. Anything I might should know? I was planning on using the new bike I buy in Dallas to take the course on. Any thoughts?

Nearly 10 years ago after my last mishap that shattered my heel my VA Orthopedic surgeon would not release me and allow me to get back to riding my bike so I eventually got rid of it and let my license lapse and that's why I need to get a new one after over 35 years or so of having my last one. Yeah I know my mistake but that's spilled milk. So now it's a different day so moving on.

·
Super Moderator
14,564 Posts
The safety course is a good one, but the one I took was not three days. It's not needed for license here, but it helps with insurance cost.

Reactions: Ron Hill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Read the spec sheet. So what's different about the 2021? That's really the only important thing about a 2021 discussion, right?
What are the new items you found?
For anyone worried about price, even in US dollars, I've now seen two 2018+ Wings on showroom floors in WA state and AZ, discounted off of MSRP by $6,000. Add fees to that maybe but still.....
Bought mine in 2018 for a negotiated $1200 discount with no fees, and still kicking myself.
There's no way someone is going to convince me that this bike is selling well with discounts like these.
First time posting here for me and I don't own a 'wing (yet). I went with a 2015 Yamaha FJR1300 after letting myself get talked out of a Goldwing because it was an "old man's bike" and I was 41 at the time. Can't believe I listened to that. For what it is meant for (eating miles and asking for more) it does so well it makes me jealous of those I ride with. I've been spending my time and money to put accessories on my FJR that it doesn't have and frankly won't ever have (GPS, CB, Cell Phone holder, etc) and really it's not meant to. What I have now feels like some frankenstein bike with a bunch stuff on the handlebars and none of it works well.

Having said all that, to say this: The new Goldwing has what I've been looking for since I started looking at them 6 years ago. If you already own a 2018+ you might not care but starting from where I am, its a definite difference for me.
1) XM Radio. Not crucial but its a very nice add
2) CB Radio. As much as everybody gets all happy inside about modern communications, CB just works and works well. As soon as SENA and Cardo come up with a mesh that works between them we'll talk.
3) Android Auto. This keeping me from going 2017 and older. If you haven't tried Android auto (I assume carplay is nice nice as well), being able to hit a button or just say "Hey Google, Navigate to Yosemite National Park" or some other destination and then confirm it with a "yes" when it reads it back to you is hard to go back from. "Hey Google, Call Bill Smith on mobile". Messing around with your hands in the car is bad enough, but on a motorcycle its just asking for a ton of problems. Having that integrated finally? Done, I'm sold.
4) Larger top box (new). Can't take the wife with me comfortably then getting to the go-ahead is going to be a problem
5) Suspension. Its had the new suspension since 2018 but its still there now.

So, to me thats it. Top box and Android Auto. They mentioned other things like modified grab bars, speakers, top box angle, new seat, etc. but those first two sold me.

I tried to talk my wife into one of those discounted 2018-2020 models like you mentioned above ($6,000 to $10,000 discounts are impossible to ignore), there are quite a few of them in the Los Angeles area and the dealers seem to compete on volume sold. She reminded me how unhappy I've been trying to make things work with other solutions to what the goldwing does by default and the one thing that sold me was Android Auto. I swear. True voice control is undeniably a game changer on a motorcycle and I am a sucker for a well executed integrated solution, been trying to find it for years.

I'll probably still mount my Garmin Zumo XT on the bars somewhere because I like how it shows upcoming services better than standard GPS, but aside from that it gets rid of all of my other problems, looks cleaner, performs better at longer distances, and does it more comfortably.

I still like my FJR but its not a goldwing and really isn't meant to ride 2 up. Having said that, there's been some great moments....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts