Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new blue 2012 Goldwing. This is my first wing I have about seven hundred miles on it and I love this bike. It rides and handles better than any bike I have ever rode. Can't wait to make a trip to Arkansas.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum. So where is home for you and where are the pics of the new ride??? We love pics around here... Ride safe and enjoy the forum. Nice folks and good info on here...

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome Reaux, enjoy the bike and the site.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello reaux, welcome to GWOF and congrats on the purchase of the new wing

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Enjoy your new Wing for many years to come.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Arkansas and it's a great state for motorcycle riding. I moved here in 2002 and bought my 1800 VTX in 2005 and Triked it in 2007 and last week I bought a 1994 Goldwing GL1500 Trike and we love to ride the mountains of this state.

Enjoy the bike and be safe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a new blue 2012 Goldwing. This is my first wing I have about seven hundred miles on it and I love this bike. It rides and handles better than any bike I have ever rode. Can't wait to make a trip to Arkansas.
Me Too! We might be related....LOL:) I got the Blue as well. It looks very sharp. I totally agree with the handling. I now have300+ miles on mine. Got it last week. Gawd what a nice ride! Congratulations on your ride.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2713/5830429046_690f3f9eee_b.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations, and a question.

I am about to purchase a 2012 Wing and would love to hear from you what other bikes you have owned and what you feel are the biggest differences between the Wing and them. I am also looking at the K1600 GTL but leaning towards the Wing. Would love to hear from Wing owners.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am about to purchase a 2012 Wing and would love to hear from you what other bikes you have owned and what you feel are the biggest differences between the Wing and them. I am also looking at the K1600 GTL but leaning towards the Wing. Would love to hear from Wing owners.
I'll Chime in! I peviously had a 1988 GL1500. I currently have a 2012. There are so many things that are different so I will cover what I consider to be the most striking differences.

Power: The 2012 has an unmstakable increase in power over the 1500. When I took the test ride on the dealers 2012 GL1800 I took off down the ramp to the interstate and I twisted it hard. I caught Second and Third gear screaching the tire each time,. Kinda scared me so I backed off. The power band was smooth and even htroughout all gears. Smooth running easy quiet shifting. My 1500 was a CLUNK shifter. The engine had a whine on my 1500 that is absent on the 1800.

Brakes: Oh my Gawd!! Stop means stop with full control maintained in heavy breaking. The linked front/rear and rear/front braking system makes for a smooth safe stops at all speeds I tried. The bike doesnt dive or at least it is nearly zero. My1500 would dive like an Olympian! The 1500 would also get squirly in a turn if had to brake, not on the 1800. Very stable.

Suspension: Smooooth.... My 1500 had a great ride. Soft and squishy so I was worried to hear the 1800 was a firmer ride. Yes it is but oh my what a nice ride. The bike glides over bumps much nicer than the 1500 did. And I used to have an awful rattle from the suspension and plastic parts on my 1500. This new 1800 makes no creaks, squeeks, rattles or pings on the road. It has a quiet solid feel as well as a really comfy saddle.

Saddle Bags: THe 1500 had a little more room. But I personally havent missed it too much. I have loaded my 1800 boxes and I can get what I need in them. I also like the key fob that locks the trunk and side boxes. It also pops the trunk open for me when myhands are full. The locator button blows the horn 2 times.... I guess when I am at a lot full of blue wings I can tell which one is mine, LOL. The 1500 obviously didnt have this toy.

Lights: Th headlights on my 1500 were very bright but more of the yellow hue type light. THe 1800 has a much whiter light and I can see much better at night. The high beams reach way out there and really make for a safer ride at night, wich I try to avoid due to critters that try to kill me...i.e. DEER, Bear and Dogs. The tail lghts on both bikes were bright but again the 1800 is brighter than the 1500 was.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System: 1500 didnt have it. 1800 came standard. I really like the idea but I still check them manually before a trip. Just a good thing to have in case you loose pressure on the run. The 1800 comes with Bridgestones. Really smooth and they handle well in turns and acceleration. If they wear really well then I might replace them wth the same thing. Otherwise I will go with the Dunlops again.

Controls: Dash lights are much better on the 1800. The handle bar controlsare basicly the same on both bikes. All the gadget buttons for radio, suspension and readouts are easy to findand use on both bikes. Just more to play with on the 1800. Th radio controls are on the left sie fairing on the 1800 and they re easy to reach and use without taking your eyes off the road.

THis bike feels much lighter and manuvers circles around my old 1500. Much sportier feeling and quicker response. No wobble anytime.

Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts