Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new member and a new owner of the Red 2012 Gold Wing. Unfortunately, I'm posting about a problem; the GPS has an SD CARD ERROR. I cannot find a way to clear it (yes, I have been reading the manual:)). It just stays there and blocks any function that goes through or displays on the Nav screen; unless someone else has had and fixed this problem, it looks like a trip back to the dealer on Monday. Managed 55 miles before this showed up. Other than that it is a beautiful bike and rides very well.

WeldNut

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Arkansas and there are many knowledgeable members up here and I'm sure someone will anwser your question about your problem. I can't because I'm new to Goldwings myself buying a 1994 GL 1500 Trike used last week.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Congrats on your new (really new) Wing and welcome to the forum. Can't help with the Nav, since I have a Garmin add-on on my base Wing. Some guys stayed away from previous years Wings with the Nav built in because of Nav issues. I thought that was corrected on the 2012 models. Not a lot of guys on here with 2012's yet, but I'm sure someone will be commenting soon. Good luck and ride safe...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's working now

To update the GPS; about the 10th time I pulled the card, looked at and willed it to work, it did. Still need to talk to the dealer. May be a bad card or reader.

WeldNut

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gps

Hello again and thank you for the warm welcome. I spoke to the dealer today and of course mine is the first problem he has heard of on this bike. Actually, I am the first owner from his store so I guess I'm not that surprised! Anyway I will keep this updated until we find the problem; rode 112 miles to work and back today with no more problems. Lots of compliments from everyone I met, most were surprised I had switched from HD to Honda, though most seemed to understand.

WeldNut

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
May be bad..... but, if you pull the SD card out always clean the contacts on both the card and reader side with a bit of denatured alcohol or contact spray cleaner. Many circuit problems are a result of a " failure to communicate ".

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I need to pull that card again, I will make sure to clean it. I did not post any pictures as the bike looks exactly like the advertisements; except for three add-ons. I will post some though first chance I get this week. Thank you for the advice.

WeldNut

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome aboard Weldnut. Lots of riders (me included) have been former HD owners at some time past (some still are). All that really matters is that you ride, not what. Enjoy that new bike. I've looked at the online manual and the trouble shooting guide for the navi seems to be the same as my '09 so I don't really have anyting to add. If I get a chance to speak with one of my tech reps I'll pick his brain and see if there is anything he can offer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are correct; it does have two cards. One of them is hidden underneath a rubber plug and in my case, required reading the manual to find it;) It was the lower one, which is the one that is hidden. I was hoping to post a picture but I need to make them smaller. That may take a few minutes to figure out.

WeldNut

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Keep working on it Weldnut. You don't need to be that small. Nice ride you've got there (and it's red too).

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas, Weldnut. Good looking machine.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Now you're getting closer.

PM sent

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mileage

Weldnut,
I have a 102,000 on my 08 gw........was wonderin what your fuel mileage has been if you have kept track........lookin at a 12 to buy shortly

HisST

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You probably corrected the "problem" by just removing and reinstalling the card. Many times on that type of connector it can be just a minute piece of debris that can cause an issue.

Oh, by the way, nice looking bike. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mpg 2012

I put 739 miles on the new bike in the 7 days I have had it. When I filled it today I checked the mileage at 39.33 mpg. I typically ride just over 72mph for 92 of my 112 mile daily commute.

I have not had any more problems with the SD card, so I think it was only a cleanliness issue.

WeldNut

1 - 20 of 22 Posts