Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, I just traded my Harley Ultra for new GW. Only had it since Saturday. So far I love the bike. The handling is so much better than the Harley. There is just one thing that is bugging me about it though. It feels like it is leaning to the left all the time. When going straight. I know most roads slope down to the right. Coming home from work today I tried shifting my butt to the left a little and it seemed to ride more upright. Is this normal? It just does not feel right. I shifted some of the weight from the right bag to the left bag but I have not tried it out yet. Have any of you had this experience. Or is it just me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike! I have had my 2012 for about four-weeks but haven't noticed anything like you are describing. Maybe the Ultra was tilted and you just got used to riding like that. :D Just kidding. Has anyone given you a visual check from the rear?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, Not yet. I have to take it back to the dealer when my backrest comes in and I'm going to have them check it out. I brought this up to the sales person after I test drove it. He just said (I don't know what that could be) I just figured it was just me and bought it anyway.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
This may not have any bearing on your problem but I believe there is a lack of symmetry to a Wing. I notice it while riding my bike in my customary position with my legs on the forward highway pegs. My right leg rubs the fairing more than the left. It might not be just " you " because now that you mentioned it those who read this will make note of it while riding. I will!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I went from an Ultra to my GW a year ago this month, very pleased with the many improvements over the HD 10,000 miles later. Have not noticed a lean to the left, or right for that matter, but the suspension is quite a lot different than the HD, mainly in the front, likely has to do the the anti-dive feature. What I do notice is tire wear, a lot different than with the Harley, which wore tires down pretty much normal from side to side. My Wing, and lots of others as described on this forum, have tire wear that either cups or is uneven side to side. I have 5k on a new set of Bridgestones and the front tire wear would indicate the bike is leaning left a lot. The center of the tire tread is deeper than the left side, the right side of the tread is just a little lower than the center--all at a constant 42psi. Wierd. There is no cupping on these tires (with balancing beads), just this uneven sided to side wear. I can attribute some blame to typical road crown/slope, but the Ultra ran on the same roads. Go figger.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
What I would do is ride the same road again and see if you can notice any irregularities in the normal vehicle tire paths. if the road surface is older, it could be worn just enough to cause the left lean you mention. I would have thought however that the Wing would be "better" than the HD not worse....:eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Also went from an Ultra Classic to a 'Wing, had it a little over two weeks and lovin' it more and more every day. No lean, no wobbles, no problems. Can it be that you're not needing to carry so much money in your right pocket that you're instinctively leaning to the left? (J/K)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Congrats on the Wing
Bought my 2010 wing....sold my 2010 Ultra.......4 months later bought the same bike back.....an then there were two.

Two different bike not even worthy of a comparison in my book...

as for the lean......maybe you are just developing a new attitude with the Wing.....Lean.....as in "Gangsta' Lean".....:rolleyes:

I think my friend Chopin is "asymmetical" and his bike is perfect...:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions. I noticed today that I tend to pull back more on the right grip than I do the left. when I let some pressure off the right it kind of straightens up. Anyway I'm going to ask the dealer to check it out. But it's I probably got a lot to do with me getting used to it. It does sit higher than the Ultra. Just want to say that this thing handles so much better in the curves and it has a lot more power than the Ultra. I'm very happy with my decision to buy the wing. Now I just have to come up with the money to start buying all those chrome accessories. ::D

·
Registered
223 Posts
take both your hands off the bars while riding on straight and flat road........(yes danger Will Robinson).....then see how you line up.....this is real wild.....take a level and tape to bars stand, ride, hands on, hands off and look at bubble.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I noticed today that I tend to pull back more on the right grip than I do the left. when I let some pressure off the right it kind of straightens up. Anyway I'm going to ask the dealer to check it out. But it's I probably got a lot to do with me getting used to it. It does sit higher than the Ultra. Just want to say that this thing handles so much better in the curves and it has a lot more power than the Ultra. I'm very happy with my decision to buy the wing. Now I just have to come up with the money to start buying all those chrome accessories. ::D
The accessories will definitely cause a flat spot on your wallet side, which may or may not address the leaning issue.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't know about the newer models, but one thing I have noticed about my 84 Aspy is that it wants to drift left. I can remember riding my 75 wing for miles with no hands on the bars and sitting straight. My 84 aspy will really want to go left unless I lean hard to the right to keep it straight if riding with no hands on the bars. Am also developing cupping on the front tire.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I fully admit to mental asymmetry and officially withdraw my comment regarding Chopin .....I meant to say he was "Lopsided"

·
Registered
768 Posts
Take your wallet and cell phone and put them in the trunk and see how it rides if you have to much crap in your wallet it may cause your spine to be out of alignment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Jac:
I picked up my new 2012 yesterday and had read your note, so it was sort of the first thing I looked for. I notice no left lean or pull at all. I also own a Harley Road King and even that bike seems to ride straight as an arrow. Both have cruise control and both are dead straight with hands off the grips. Still getting used to the new machine (super machine, so far) and no complaints whatsoever.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your not still carrying one of those big Harley wallets with the tire chain attached, are you? :) :) Welcome to Wing World, you'll love it!! I've had my Wing for nine months and have over 13,000 miles on it. Do you like the power of the Wing? Best of Luck in the future.
T-Rex

1 - 20 of 21 Posts