Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after many years of debating the issue I finally decided to get a goldwing. I found a brand new (zero miles) 2010 goldwing and bought it two weeks ago. I would like to say I have enjoyed it but so far major disappointment, in fact I regret buying it. In the two weeks i have had it I have gotten to ride it three times for a total of 167 miles, the rest of the time it has been in the shop for repairs. I rode it 135 miles the first day from the dealer to my house during which the TPMS light came on and would not go out, the tire pressure is fine. The second day I drove it to a local shop Barney's motorcycles which is one of the largest dealers in florida and they couldn't fix it because they didn't have the tool required for the repair. Took it to a second honda dealer and they kept it for one week, I then drove it home and before I pulled in the drive way the TPMS light came on again, also it seems to have a transmisson issue, when in second gear it pops back to neutral, also the rear brakes constantly scrap. Anyway the bike was then toed back to the repair shop and I was told i could expect to get the bike back in about a week. I will by then have owned the bike for three weeks and except for the first night I owned it, it will have spent every other day in a repair shop.

if it gets fixed I will try and sell it as quickly as possible, cant see myself taking this bike on any long rides. i had real high expectations for this bike couldn't be more disappointed. I know goldwings are very reliable bikes I just seemed to have picked a lemon.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear you got a bad one, hopefully the dealer will straighten it out.
I was going to suggest if you had a truck and trailer and wouldn't mind driving north to Hudson, you might do better if Scott at Action Honda worked on it. Scott is the service manager and has been working on Wings for many years.
It seems to be a trend lately, the dealer sells the Wing but cannot fix it. you're the third person who has had this problem so far this month. Find the right dealer with a Wing Tech and your bike will be running right, the Honda warranty is good at any dealer.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
http://www.800helpfla.com/lemonlaw.html
Take the quiz-If you qualify, invoke the lemon law. But, make absolutely sure you qualify! While it is very frustrating to experience defects, such as you are, it is not that uncommon for "little things" to happen. Remember, we all are using vehicles that were assembled from the "world market" parts suppliers that were for the most part, the low bidders!
We do have warranties to cover these failures/defects as bad as it is to have to go to the dealer, when we want to ride!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in the grand scheme of life this is but a minor bump in the road but non the less I will have a hard time enjoying the motorcycle as I will always have in the back of my mind when will it break down again. As for the lemon law, I live in florida and motorcycles are not covered by the lemon law.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I live in florida and motorcycles are not covered by the lemon law.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Florida Lemon Laws and the federal Lemon Law (the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) provide for compensation to Florida consumers of defective automobiles and trucks and other vehicles and products including motorcycles, RV’s, boats, computers and other consumer appliances and products.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
First, welcome to the GWOF from Pennsylvania. So sorry you are having problems with your new Wing. Early problems always make you leary when it comes to a new bike. My first Wing was a 98 1500 SE and I had it 2 days and it developed a coolant leak. I was scheduled to go to the Honda Hoot in 5 days and it took them 6 days to teardown everything, order the part, install it and put everything back together. I made it to the Hoot a day late, but that 1500 turned out to be a great trouble free bike for 11 years. So don't give up on her yet. Hope you can get the issues resolved by the dealer(s) and get to enjoy a great bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know how you feel. I bought a 2005 Ford Taurus new in 05. In about a month the rain gutter molding was peeling off and the AC/Heat blower was either on high or off, no in between. Took in for those repairs which were done in 2 days.
Since then I've had ZERO issues with the car and my daughter is still driving it with 140,000 mile on the OD.
3 weeks after I gave that to my daughter some bonehead in a 24ft box truck rear-ended my new 2010 Focus.

But I digress. Don't give up hope it will be OK.

Jim

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had similar problems with my new at the time bmw. One thing after another and hapless dealers trying to fix them. Difference was that model had numerous recalls, TSB's and owner complaints about the same issues. Late model Goldwings do not have this kind of history -- are pretty darn reliable. So, the odds are in your favor that once these initial items are repaired, you will not experience further issues. But, I can understand your trepidation. If this truly spoils your joy of ownership, then by all means, go the lemon law option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well today is day 16 of ownership and it has been in my garage of for one night the other 15 days it has been in repair shops. I really had higher expectations of goldwing ownership.

motorcycles are not covered by the lemon law as defined by florida state statue #681.102(15). so im stuck with it, oh wait I dont even have it, its still in a repair shop.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
motorcycles are not covered by the lemon law as defined by florida state statue #681.102(15). so im stuck with it, oh wait I dont even have it, its still in a repair shop.
Once again I will post this:
Florida Lemon Laws and the federal Lemon Law (the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) provide for compensation to Florida consumers of defective automobiles and trucks and other vehicles and products including motorcycles, RV’s, boats, computers and other consumer appliances and products.
So, if you are that upset with the purchase of this particular bike..........

·
Registered
41 Posts
well today is day 16 of ownership and it has been in my garage of for one night the other 15 days it has been in repair shops. I really had higher expectations of goldwing ownership.

If you have not done so already, contact Honda Customer Service and raise some hell if necessary. Might be able to get some sort of resolution to the problem.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sorry to hear that you purchased a dud. Don't blame you at all for wanting to unload it.
Have a gooooooooood day.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I understand your flustration and I being short of temper might have just took a licking and sold it. However this is not common on a wing and I think when the repairs are made by a "good" shop you will grow to love it I had a 03 with many recalls , but it never let me walk home , now I have a 2010 I put 1200 miles on now no issues at all yet. I have rode many bikes of all brands and to me for two up touring the wings the king.
Bill
Sumter SC

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i called today to see when my bike might be ready and i was told it should be ready tomorrow, i can only hope that after 18 days in a repair shop(s) it would finally be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
I hope your bike is finally done. A Goldwing is an awesome bike and that is coming from a former HD owner, I wouldn't trade my 1993 GL1500 for anything. I feel sorry for the buyers when they get lousy service because the dealership doesn't have a person trained for the Goldwing.
Once the 'Bugs' are worked out of the bike, you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
day 19 of ownership, 18 of which it has been in a repair shop I finally picked it back up today. I put 160 miles on it for the ride home taking all the back roads I could before getting on the interstate. No warning lights or transmisson issues, all seemed to be fixed.
As luck would have it I got caught in nightmare of a rain storm on the way home and the bike handled as well as is if i were in a car. Even with the horrible rain it was the best 160 miles I have ever ridden on a motorcycle.
I said in my first post that as soon as I got it back from the repair shop I was going to sell it as soon as possible, well Ill have to eat my words as I think Ill keep it for a while.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts