Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning people.
New to this forum and would like your opinion and expert advice.
I just bought a new 2008 GL1800 and have been reading the manuals, but nowhere in there does it discuss the adjustments to the mirrors. Am I missing something here? I am kind of tall, over 6 ft. and I need for the mirrors to go up and out a bit. Any suggestions?
Also, I have started to notice a wobble in the steering. I know my 1982 GL1100 had a wobble, but I would think that Honda would have fixed this problem by now. It seems to only happen when under about 45 mls./hr. Anything I can do to prevent this wobble as I think it might be a hazard, life threatening hazard.
Thanks,
Bigrnm

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
bigrnm,
Welcome to the forum lot's of good discussion here. Now to your immediate question can't help alot cause I have 1500. However have seen threads addressing this & even have a friend who has it with his 1800. What I do remember is something about the bearings & if you check even aftermarket guys talk about theirs corecting "the wobble". Sorry couldn't help more however I'm sure some of the 1800 guys will chime in here.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You can indeed adjust the glass inside the mirror. I was kinda nervous about doing it because they seemed so tight. But it is just like the mirrors in a car that are not power. You can adjust them by hand. Also the whole mirror assembly will fold in or out. This helps in my case when putting my wing into a storage building that has a narrow opening.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF bigrnm, check the tire pressure. if its low it can cause a wobble

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ditto on what William said, but if that's not it, it is possible (though not likely) that your steering head isn't torqued to spec. That should have been done at the factory, but you never know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just picked up a 2008 GL1800 myself and find that I can't adjust the mirrors wide enough to cover the blind spots as I would like. I'm 5'8" so the up/down adjustment isn't a problem but I sure feel like I've maxed out on the left/right adjustment and still view a good bit of my sleeve in each mirror. No noticeable steering wobble but I only have 150 mi. on the bike and most everything about it still feels real foreign.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Bigrnm, first welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Wing. The advice on your mirrors you've been given is correct. Just push on the mirror and adjust to your liking. The wobble can be caused by a tire out of balance or insufficent air pressure. The 08 does not have a TPMS so you have to check by hand. A good digital meter will work well.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Budoka, Same for you on the mirrors. What I've done also is buy a pair of round mirrors that are adjustable and attach to the mirrors on the Wing. They can be adjusted to allow you to see vehicles very close to you in your blind spot. I bought them at a local auto store for about $6 for both in a pack. They just stick on the mirrors and can be placed where ever you like them best.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Budoka, Same for you on the mirrors. What I've done also is buy a pair of round mirrors that are adjustable and attach to the mirrors on the Wing. They can be adjusted to allow you to see vehicles very close to you in your blind spot. I bought them at a local auto store for about $6 for both in a pack. They just stick on the mirrors and can be placed where ever you like them best.
Actually it was Peobody about the mirrors, but hey, who really cares. I'm 6' and 210lbs and have no issues with the mirrors; can see just fine with them and I'm pretty bulky in the upper body (ok I'm a tad on the fat side).
Bgrnrm I'd actually take the bike into the dealer about that wobble though. I got into a real nasty tank slapper on my '84 (it only happened the once) but it scared the bejeesus out of yours truly. A bit of advice if it ever happens to anyone: I got out of it by rolling on the throttle. Something I read in a safety forum many years ago by Stu Munro (Rider Magazine). Hitting the binder will put you down in a heartbeat. It's hard to open the tap when things go sideways but sometimes it's the only way

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi guys. Red Ron, did you say that the whole mirror assembly folds in and out ? I got an '09 but I've never heard about that before. So what do you do ? Just grab the mirror fairing and pull ? I don't recall seeing that in the manual. As for the wobble, I don't have one at speed but when I'm going very slowly and sharply turning I notice a wobble. But I'm assuming that it is the weight leaning on the forks into a turn.

Lyndon

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi guys. Red Ron, did you say that the whole mirror assembly folds in and out ? I got an '09 but I've never heard about that before. So what do you do ? Just grab the mirror fairing and pull ? I don't recall seeing that in the manual. As for the wobble, I don't have one at speed but when I'm going very slowly and sharply turning I notice a wobble. But I'm assuming that it is the weight leaning on the forks into a turn.

Lyndon
Yes, just grab the whole mirror and it will fold toward you (sitting on bike) or away from you. There is nothing about it in my manual either. I have an '08. You have an '09. Just wanted to point that out but I would assume they are the same. I am going to put a dab of grease on the pivit or swivel point or joint on mine if I coutinue to do it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello Bigrnm, I also had a wobble issue with my 2008 Wing within the first 600 miles. Took it back to the dealer for an inpsection. Turned out the wobble was caused by the front tire ( Dunlop ) which was replaced under warranty. Seems this is an issue with some of Dunlops OEM tires.

No problems with wobble since the new replacement tire... Have 10,000 miles on the new tire since.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New 2008GL1800

Thanks for all the info guys. It has been helpful. I haven't had a chance to try those things you have all told me, as I have been out of town. But I will try them this weekend. I will let you all know what happened.
thanks again,
Bigrnm

·
Registered
4 Posts
we have a new 2008 , ride two up all the time , had the wobble , we had the front bearings replaced it was an 100% inprovement . as far as the mirrors go the dealer said no adjustment on them, brought it home and took the screw out of the bottom ,took the mirrors out , looked like to much spray paint on them , use lots of 3and 1 oil, finally got them to work, needless to say i'm looking for another dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts