Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
New to the forum and to Goldwing ownership as of a week and a half ago. Bit of history here: my younger brother rode an 87 (I think it was an Interstate, but not sure). He passed away in 2007 at age 51. I was so impressed by the outpouring of support from his NW Ohio Goldwing Riders Club and his Lima, OH Christian Motorcyclists Assn. groups at his calling hours and funeral, I got the bug to start riding. Took the MSF Basic Riders Course in 2008 and bought a Suzuki Bandit. In 2009, moved up to a "little wing," a 2001 Honda ST1100; and two weeks ago traded it for a black 2004 Wing. All I can say is...NICE MACHINE. And my wife loves it (I really got is so she'd be more comfortable on the back...well that wasn't the ONLY reason).

Here's my question. This 2004 wing has lower fog lights in place but there is no switch to turn them on and they do not come on when the bike is running and the headlamps are on - low or high beam. Is there a mystery here I'm not getting? Honda wouldn't sell a bike equipped with light bulbs and no way to operate them would it??

Looking forward to participating in this forum!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello tparker3neo and welcome. I too am a new wing owner and from Northeast Ohio (Conneaut). Afraid I cannot answer your question but I wanted to welcome you just the same.

WingNut

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2U Wing.
One of the GL1800 owners should be able to answer that question.
According to a photo I just looked at, along side the 'hazard' light button should be one to the right and above the 'memo1' button. This is on the left side control panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have a switch where your photo shows, but I just have a dummy plate where the switch should be. That's why I am puzzled that I seem to actually have lights!

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
The previous owner may have put lights in and never wired them up or the switch went bad and they disconnected them and put a plate in the space. Another possibility is the switch panel could have gone bad and the PO replaced it with a used one that had no switch for those lights. Most of the trikes and bikes I've seen have a switch.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
First welcome to the forum. The PO may have installed the lights and instead of putting in a switch, just hardwired the lights to go on all the time. If he did that, then the bulbs may be burned out. I would buy a bulb and see if it works.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
That does seem a bit strange. Let's remove the lower cowl and see what the lights are plugged into.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello tparker3neo, welcome to GWOF

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't give any advice that hasn't been given.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Can you tell if they are Honda lights or another aftermarket supplier? Oh right, welcome to GWOF!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts