Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i am a new GW owner ( 1 week now). It's a 2010 with 49K miles and today i decide that i would take the rear wheel off to get a new tire on it. That was the scariest i thing i have ever done. The bike doesn't have any good jack point and i made the mistake of putting a motorcycle lift towards the rear where the coolant reservoir was and i think i damaged it. What bright Honda engineer decides to put the reservoir there?
To make a long story short, i think i will leave the tire change to the dealer from now on. On second thought, I should have tried the "lay the bike down" method.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
be happy you don't have a 1500 wing that needs a rear tire

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Or a 1200!

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Do the lay down method, very easy.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
1. The rear pivot point of the center stand is a rest point for a bike jack.
2. While still 2 wheeled, I removed the rear wheel using the "out the back" technique with no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Mine goes to see the Honda Store when tires are needed. Am mechanically Challenged.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I use a lift. You have to remember to let the support toward the back of the bike be positioned right on where the centerstand hinges. I would love to just take it out while on the centerstand with the back fender removed but would have to fight with moving the amp out of the way. Mine is an '08. I can't remember what year they started putting the amp in the way. Next time I change the rear I will probably use my lift because I want to change brake pads also. But after that I will probably use the lay down method.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
No jack required, 2 easy ways to do it, either lay it down on the right side and remove the wheel or put it on the center stand and take the rear fender off and pull it out the back,

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
I'm not useless with wrenches, but I'm no pro either. Wheel/tire changes can remain the domain of the shop folks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
No jack required, 2 easy ways to do it, either lay it down on the right side and remove the wheel or put it on the center stand and take the rear fender off and pull it out the back,
Hey Joe, wondering what year yours is. On my '08 the stero amp is right smack in the way. I couldn't see an easy way to get it out of the way so I could pull the wheel out the back on the centerstand. On earlier 1800's the amp was not there.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You know considering all the junk that comes up off the road on the back tire you would think they would find a better spot for amp like where the cd player goes!

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
Hey Joe, wondering what year yours is. On my '08 the stero amp is right smack in the way. I couldn't see an easy way to get it out of the way so I could pull the wheel out the back on the centerstand. On earlier 1800's the amp was not there.
'08 here also. That's what I've " heard ". I've only done the lay -over method once ( intentionally ) . Looks like I'll do it again next spring.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.