Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all,
I'm a former diehard harley-davidson guy, but due to a recent surgery to remove an extra vertabrae (birth defect) from my spine, my back is in need of functional seat and suspension. I still love Harley's but the price and functionality combined with my back, limits my selection. I was never a fan of goldwings but I find myself looking more and more at the gl 1500 since a preowned early model is within my budgetary ballpark ($6k) I don't see much in the way of options left if I want to keep riding.

I've gone over the reviews and rider testimonials and from what I've seen the 'wing riders at least have facts to back up and support their loyalty to the bike rather than "heritage, tradition, classic style" and other intangibles.

My last long ride was a brutal torture going 2 up on a 1994 sportster 1200 with my spouse and when I got home I wanted to kick my bike over in the garage. I started looking at the fl harleys but for their age, the prices even on the used models are way too high. I've looked at the victory bikes as well, but the styling throws me off and financially they are out of my price range as well as limited dealer base. This more or less leaves me with the wing.

I'm nervous at the size of the beast even though I hear perpetually that once it's in motion the weight vanishes as well as being somewhat nervous about all the buttons/switches/dials although I'm certain that this will vanish with familiarity. When it comes to the 1500 what do I need to keep an eye out for when buying used? Is the motor known to have any problems? I do know that the flat 6 is damn near able to survive a nuclear fallout but I'm always leery that I'm going to get a lemon.

If size is an issue, my wife is roughly five four and around the 200 lb mark. I'm right around six foot and about the same weight. I just never thought I'd think about joining the wingers when I've made so much fun in the past of wing riders and them being half a honda accord but it's amazing how surgery changes things. Thank you all for your responses.
Sincerely,
Matthew.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

You are correct about the engines, 200K is not unheard of, without any major repairs. The only thing that needs to be done is make sure the timing belts are changed at no more than 100K. I had one that had 193K on it and still was going strong.

They are a very easy machine to ride, as long as you can keep it on the wheels when at a standstill (or low speed maneuvers)! :D You'll get used to the extra controls, especially the cruise control and reverse. :)

I have personally ridden a 700 mile day and have had back surgery. The only thing that stopped me from going farther was the weather, I won't ride in snow!

You should be able to get a good one well within your budget.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....

Hey I know several people that have a wing and a Harley. At least you and your wife are still riding....that's what counts.

Ride Safe Always!!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
hello matt, welcome to GWOF. i haven't had surgery so ccomfort is an issue for me. the harley's just vibrate too much for me even the FL's, you may think that you don't feel it but the vibration is still there so like you for me to be able to ride a wing is or was about my only choice not to mention i wanted a wing. even with a pinched nerve and hernieated disc i've done 12 hours with minimal discomfort on my 1500 wing

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Hi Matthew and welcome to the GWOF!

As an experienced motorcyclist you'll quickly adjust to the geometry of your Wing, after which the handling even at low speed will amaze you. I've ridden plenty of Harleys and most other makes but have simply never encountered such handling before, and mine is an '85 GL1200.

I'll wager a dollar to a donut that your biggest challenge will be "grin management"!:D

Look forward to seeing photos once you've got your Wing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome Matt, The first thing that will realize is WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO GET A WING!!! Then of course there will be that ear to ear grin. I own 2 1200s and a 1500, and I can tell you these bikes are the best for riding 2up or solo. And as stated by other members look for a bike that has been cared for and has been taken care of. Your basic maintenance will easy and as said these motors will go 300k with out any major motor rebuild as long as taken care of. Good Luck finding a bike there are some on this site for sale by the way. Just find the one that sings to you and you will know its the one. Hal

·
Registered
363 Posts
Welcome to the nut house, lol

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

As you can see by my signature, I have an 1800 trike. My brother-in-law has a GL1500 and absolutely loves it! I've also taken it out for a few rides. They handle great and are extremely comfortable with plenty of power. The engine (as you've heard) is clearly a proven design capable of 200,000 miles and beyond with the standard required maintenance. As far as riding two up, my brother-in-law tips the scales at roughly 250. He has mentioned many times that when his better half is riding with him, it's as if she's not there regarding how the bike handles, brakes and accelerates. I'd figure she's about 180. (hope she's not reading this post, lol).

As others have mentioned, the main problem you'll have is the pain of that permanent smile on your face! :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Like BUDDTWO says find the one that sings to you. Look on these forums and in local adds as I did. I found a low mileage 89 that sang to me. I have never looked back. I have ridden Harleys and nothing compares to the comfort and feel of the wing. I am 6' and 178lbs. My mate is 5'2" and soaking wet is only 105lbs. I have no trouble handling my 1500. It is a dream on the highway and in the twisties. Just watch out for that permanent grin that will be hard to erase and enjoy the ride. Be safe always.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Welcome to the forum Matthew. Sorry to hear about your back problems. As far as the GL1500 goes they are as you said pretty much indestructable. The engine will go well over 200k with regular maint. The 1500's have carbs and the 1800's are FI. I've had both a 1500 and 1800 and I love both.

Lot's of good used Wings out there, so look around for the one that "speaks to you". Good luck on your search.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
My favorite NEW Wingers are Die Hard Harley guys....Welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
We'll be more than glad to answer all your questions. :)

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF.
Lots of good 1500's out there. Bought mine new in 93 and have 188,000 miles on it. The only time it's let me down, it was self inflicted. done a poor soldering job when I replace the brushes in the stock alternator.
When you find one see if the owner has any maintainence record.
Thing to check out if you buy Timing belts, fluids, Oil, coolant and the clutch and brake fluid. If the clutch and brake fluid is starting to look the color of tea, it's time to flush and bleed the systems. Not a big or expensive job but should be done every couple of years.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I also rode a few HD's and many sport bikes wich I prefer , so when the wife said get a wing I said like hell I will , well she knows who wears the pants in the family,so we got her wing LOL! Ours is a 1800 now a trike due to health issues but as two wheels I was blown away with it's preformance in places like Deal Gap 221 and 151 (devils drop ) stand aside sport fans here comes a big honking wing in your face....did I mention I have grown to love this bike and no longer call it a old farts bike .

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome Matt. Don't worry about the heft of the Wing, it's really no bigger than an Ultra Classic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.