Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a 3 day bike trip up the coast this weekend and left on thursday. I planned on doing a couple of side tracks through some inland roads to see the countryside, instead of sticking to the boring highway. Well the first detour worked out well, we saw some very nice green countryside due to a wet season we have just had. On the next day i planned another detour and all was going well until we came to a road we had to turn into for the last 18 kilometers of the trip, we had already traveled 30 kilometers on this detour. The sign said " Road closed due to bridge washed out". Dam i said, so i thought i'll just keep going straight and let the GPS recalculate. Sure enough i did. It took me another 5 km and then the road turned into a dirt track, it wasn't that bad if you went slowly and watched the pot holes.
The worst part was to come , i followed this track were it came to a fork, the better part of the road went right and the other was a worn track that headed up the mountain range. So off i went on the good track and then my GPS said to go back. I thought it was wrong so i kept going and ended up in somebody's farm, its a pity no one was home it could have saved me a lot of trouble. So off we went back to the fork in the road and decided to take the worn track instead. If anyone says that these Goldwings are not made for off road driving tell them their wrong. We drove up this track which turned into a goats track for 1 km always climbing, and the GPS was happy. After the 1 km i was sweating profusely and decided to bite the bullet and discontinue this detour. My wife who was on the back was so proud that we didn't come off or crash that she called me "THE MAN" . This track was for 4 wheel drives i later found out from the locals.

So the moral of the story is don't trust your GPS, unless you bring a road map with you.

What i did find out from this experience is that the bike really handled the rough terrain very well and it gave me extra confidence in this well built machine.

"Hail to the Goldwing"

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
I think you did very well thank you very much. When I was on the west coast last year I went down a 4 wheel drive track that turned into a big lot of bull dust. When it all turned into sh...t, the bike was boged in it, so I got off and tried to walk it out. That was not working very good either. Dam that stuff is hard to go through with a big bike. And I had the advantage on being 1 up. I will not be doing that again. So you did do well. Eric

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you did do well
Thanks Eric

Not that i like blowing my own trumpet but i forgot to mention that i also had my new Ratpak Bag and tray on the back as well . With all that weight i thought the bike handled well

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
Good adventure, thanks for sharing. As the pilots say; any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
After spending a good amount of time on dirt bikes, I must say the wing handles ok on the dirt but it does take some stealth to do. Dirt is my last choice for the wing but it will make it through some knarly stuff when need be!! Vermont is full of off the beaten path roads!! Glad you made it safe! I have a garmin and it is ok but has its brain farts too!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
GPS directions

After the 1st time I was traveling in unfamiliar territory, missed a turn, and followed my GPS's recalculated directions around an unscenic 20-mile loop only to come back to where I was, and finding out all I needed to do was flip a U-turn and go back 1/2 mile to catch my turn; now when I'm unsure of what way to go, before taking the "recalculated" directions I always simply flip a U-turn and listen to what the GPS tells me to do. Most of the time, the recalculated directions after flipping a U-turn are much quicker at getting me back to where I wanted to go.

·
Super Moderator
28,433 Posts
Me too Maestro. I love to hate them.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
GPS's are great tools, but like al tools, they require a certain amount of knowledge on the part of the user to get real good results.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hope you did a proper 'ukemi' (breakfall) guys:D. It was intended to get people to study up on all the features and operations of their units, not as a shot at two of my favorite people. You gotta know I'd n e v e r do something like that....

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
Hope you did a proper 'ukemi' (breakfall) guys:D. It was intended to get people to study up on all the features and operations of their units, not as a shot at two of my favorite people. You gotta know I'd n e v e r do something like that....
So insinuating that we are ignorant will motivate us to become knowledgeable? Well I have never been so insulted since yesterday as I have been today.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
"Thumper, what did your father tell you today?"
My bad... I hang my head in shame for my literary ineptitude and being unable to choose my words with more clarity. Sniffle...choke...sob

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So insinuating that we are ignorant will motivate us to become knowledgeable
Wow how knowledgeable is this forum. I for one was ignorant and listened to my GPS when really i should have been listening to my wife who was choking me from behind. In conclusion listen to GPS but the wife always overrules. :D

Thank you o great one, i have seen the light now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a similar experience with mine on the very first trip we took. The GPS took us down Polk county Ark, road #34. Pretty scary. I have never taken the "shortest" route since.

And again you need some local knowledge and common sense, which I can be a little light on sometimes.....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Being a boomer, aka old guy, I have a built in distrust of anything computer (and I am typing on one). I continue to rely on paper maps--but I do use the built in GPS for entertainment, and its compass does work good, I have confidence in that part of it. Enjoyed the off road story.

·
Super Moderator
28,433 Posts
Being a boomer, aka old guy, I have a built in distrust of anything computer (and I am typing on one). I continue to rely on paper maps--but I do use the built in GPS for entertainment, and its compass does work good, I have confidence in that part of it. Enjoyed the off road story.
See I guess this is the same affliction I have. I have a small road atlas in the sidebag & a not so bad sense of direction & all is good. I certainly don't feel the need to have a drone tell me "turn right 300 yds."
I hear many stories of people taking roads that they find out later the GPS took them a longer way or out of the way. I understand as Budoka said their a tool & I also understand their usefulness but I'm old & don't need it.
I am reminded that I've been doing my current job for about 20 years & I went through a period of time & in some cases still do where a new young employee can't drive a truck with a stick. I believe that in aprox. 10-15 years or so there will be a whole group of people that won't be able to get anywhere not familiar to them without a GPS. Mark it down you heard it from the Old Fossil first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts