Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not find a spot on the forum for this, so I put it here. Remembering 9/11 and the American spirit..

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Vickie and I were in Wakefield , MA and watching the planes hit the building on the local news. We stayed our course with our week trip up to Bar Harbor, ME but the topic everywhere along the route was about what had just happen.

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
I was at college for AutoCAD Drafting and I had seen all the students gathered in the student lounge watching the horror unfold as the Twin Towers were struck by the planes, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Well done my fine friend.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I'll never forget !! I can't say on here what I'd like to #$%^&*&

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
I'll never forget !! I can't say on here what I'd like to #$%^&*&
I'll second that sentiment. Adding what I would like to do to those who cheered afterward......

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Could not find a spot on the forum for this, so I put it here. Remembering 9/11 and the American spirit..
You are a class act my friend. Thank you for the rememberance.

·
Registered
253 Posts
On 9-11-01, I was out recruiting men and women for the Armed Forces. I heard news come over the radio in my "G" Car and pulled into a store to see the second plane hit. I have to say, the 60-70 year old folks would not stop ringing my phone. I even had a few within recruiting age call me.

Sad though, you don't hear on the news or from many that we did have quite a few people already enlisted who backed out in the weeks following 9/11. Just a testiment to the courage of those who are listed as casualties in Iraq and Afganistan.

One final thought. Patriotism is great, but the hatred in this country is at a fervor. If you look back in history, we interred Japanese-Americans in prison camps during WWII because of their nationality. We are smarter and more compassionate than that. Our nation has got to focus on the real issue. Not where a mosque will be built. Surely not on burning someone's book....

I just spent 2 weeks at the National Fire Academy where the Fallen Firefighters Memorial is erected. Pay tribute through some generous donations to your selected charitable organization that supports our brave.

Now, lets never forget. And, let's ride!

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I too looked into re-enlisting........I was too old,,,way too old, so I joined the Coast Guard Aux. I did what I could at the time.......I have since left the CGA, It's time to pass the torch.........

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Great job Two Wheel Wing. It brings back so many memories. Although it hit you guys harder, your hurt was felt all over the world and certainly here in Canada. When your planes were grounded at our airports I was certainly proud of the way our local citizens heard the call and went to take as many of you as we could to our homes. You would have done the same for us as you did during the Halifax explosion where my father escaped with a cut thumb.

I also agree with Badger and we have to be careful where we direct our anger. We all have ansesters who came across the water to get away from something.

Once again, thanks Two Wheel Wing.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
It was a day that will/should never be forgotten. I was grounded due to the attack. When we did get back in the air a few days later (we're talking Northern Alberta bushcamp flying here), our flight clearances came directly from NORAD, kinda spooky. My wife and I watched the stuff on the History Channel Saturday evening, and I was both surprised and worried at how angry it made me.
I agree with the sentiment about the cheering comment. There was a certain ethinic celebration dance took place on the taxi ramp at Edmonton Intl right after the attack...&%!!?**!!!. Enough said.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
As an addendum to this, is anyone like me and concerned over this proposed Mosque 2 blocks from ground zero? I'm having a real problem accepting this. I know there are Catholic, Lutheran, and Baptist etc missionaries all over the world in war torn areas and natural disaster zones where they are not the homeland religions but they are there to comfort and help the sick and the wounded more than to try and convert or take over the spiritual needs of the locals. This is very different to may way of thinking. I don't propose to be an expert on Islam or anything, but does anyone else see something totally off base with this whole idea? I'm normally a very tolerant and forgiving person, but I see this as another erosion of our rights and an attack on our way of life. We are born citizens of these lands in North America (yes I am a Canadian citizen but all four of my grandparents were American by birth and I had a great grandfather who was a Civil War Veteran) and I do consider this a personal affront. Suddenly I can't say the Lord's Prayer in public yet some Middle Eastern immigrant can have a street in New York city closed off for an hour so he/she can sing praises to Allah. It's a middle finger salute if you ask me. Sorry if anyone finds this offensive, but it is really of great concern to me and many members of my family and friends

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
budoka,

I am in agreement with you on this: it is diffecult to understand. I consider myself colorblind as well as blind to religon. I am ok with whatever color, religon or personal choices another makes. What bothers me is when it is put in my face. I want the same consideration- and that is to leave me alone and let me be who I am without someone else trying to brainwash me or my family via the news, tv or by knocking on my door.

Back on topic,
If the people responsible for this being placed in NY city, had compassion and truly wanted peace, they would respect the site, understand the sensitivity of this and would have found another location.

As another said, since it is a free country, then let's raise some money and put a Hooter's restaurant across the street.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
I look upon it as a peace offering and protective guard from the Muslim community. Assimilation is a good defense against negative infiltration.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I look upon it as a peace offering and protective guard from the Muslim community. Assimilation is a good defense against negative infiltration.
Quite an interesting viewpoint and have to say I haven't viewed in that way. Is this your view or thiers. I have not heard anything on the news that states why they are putting it there.

You may be right, I still think it is a poke in the eye.

Hope I'm wrong and you are right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts