Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on all 4 of my other bikes, if the side stand is down and in the trans in neutral, it will start...

if the side stand is down and the trans in GEAR, it will NOT start unless the clutch is pulled in...

on the wing, i have the sidecar so the side stand isnt down but i cant start the bike IN GEAR with the clutch DISENGAGED...

is this normal? i stalled it trying to make an extremely low-speed turn around yesterday so i pulled the clutch and hit the starter with negative results. i had to click around to find neutral before it would crank...

i dont like that one bit. all the owners manual said was that put the bike in neutral blah blah blah when starting...

·
Registered
89 Posts
There is a micro switch on the clutch around the switch cluster on the left handle bar. When you pull in the clutch lever you activate the switch. Take the two wires off the switch and connect them together. The bike should start in gear with the clutch disengaged. You may want to put the kill switch in the off position so the bike doesn't actually start, but the starter should crank. If it does, then the problem is the switch. I don't know what year your bike is, but that is the set up on my 84 Aspy. Had the same problem and the switch was bad. If you have something other than a 1200 it might be a different setup alltogether.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Several threads on this topic, you don't indicate what year bike. I too had the same problem on my 2000. The microswitch tab or clutch handle can wear ever so slightly therefor the microswitch may not work, don't recall if the switch is NO or NC. I repaired mine with some layers of HVAC tape on the clutch handle until the switch worked. On mine there were 2 switches, stacked one on top of the other, you'll need to determine which one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i was in a hurry this morning before my wife and headed out on the road. i know better too...

1994 SE (1500)

im going to put it in my signature so itll always be there when i ask about this sort of stuff!

thanks for the comment on the microswitch. itll start with or without the clutch handle pulled in but only if its in neutral...

ill have to go through the shop manual ETM (electrical troubleshooting manual)...

thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts