Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need suggestions,

11K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  budoka 
#1 ·
I bought my first Wing. I have owned several Harley's in the past and I do like the deep "throaty" sound. What brand of pipes have the deep throaty sound that I am use to and like. I have had Rush and Vance and Hines in the past but I do not think they make pipes for Honda's. Any help would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Hey fellow Keystoner welcome to the World of Wingdom.

You should be able to find what your looking for on Wingstuff. I know lots of guys like the Cobras too.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1500/258_goldwing_exhaust/des/

I had to search your other post to see what Wing you have. Why not choose an Avatar & take the time to put a little more info in your profile? What works really well is a Signature line with the bike info right in it.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the forum from Seattle.

I like the fact that I am riding a motorcycle that sounds like an electric bike. I have had a butt full of loud motorcycles and so has most of the population. The only ones who enjoy a loud Harley is another guy who owns a loud Harley.

20 Wings going by makes less noise that one short dic*ed wanna be biker with his baffles out.

The only guys doing that are older over the hill bikers who are trying to relive their youth. All of the sport bikes have stock exhaust that can take any cruiser and not even get out of third gear.

If you want to know how I really feel about loud motorcycles....... just send me a pm.

Now.... I will say something positive.... and if you are still reading this post.... great!

#5 · (Edited)
First of all, as an owner of HD's in the past, the Wing will never, ever, sound like a V-twin. However, if you are willing to spend $0 and some change and 10 minutes of your time, this may be for you to add rumble to your bike. Take off the (3) 8mm bolts (each side) and remove the exhaust extension. I started off by drilling a 3/8" hole but went with a 1/2" hole. Put everything back together and you are done. It's also a snap to put it back to stock if you don't like the sound by using freeze plugs or threaded pipe plugs with JB Weld. Mine sounds as nice as my friends Wing with Cobra's. My preference is to not use any exhaust which deletes the catalytic converters. I hate the smell of unburnt exhaust when riding in a group and pass the first bike that smells bad. The reason I did this mod was because I ride fairly aggressively and missed several shifts because I couldn't hear the engine. Good luck!

Attachments

#6 ·
regardless to what year wing you have or how loudyou make it it will never sound like a harley, thank god

#10 ·
Amen to that man! Both my Wing and RVT are piped though, and I like them that way. Difference being that when I had the HD's and the custom Vulcan I rode with different peeps, and the laws were more relaxed. Too many main-street hot rodders have taken the dumb route ans spoiled it for all with new Dba restrictions and noise ordinances coming out the yin yang. My Wing has a nice deep growl to it, and the RVT sings real sweet (to me) out on the open road. I don't however hot-rod or show off with the throttle in the town limits or in villages I pass through, I do believe in using respect for others concerns; something I'm sorry I can't say for many that still have to make their exhaust notes echo off of brick buildings and in tunnels. I also believe that has more to do with empty cranial space than any shortcomings in the male equipment department as well.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ditto what detdrbuzzard said.

My rights begin where others end.......and vice versa.

We as a society have much to learn about noise pollution and the things that perpetuate it and one of the culprits is excessively loud motorcycles.

I am not talking about a professionally done tuned exhaust. I am talking about modifying an existing exhaust system simply to add noise to an already loud world. Baffles removed and running loud is obnoxious, even to other motorcyclist. I know.... ME TOO!

Simply put, I won't ride with other motorcyclist with loud pipes and I pass any of them that I come up on that are loud in front of me.

Ride defensively and maybe leave some of the black leather at home and wear something visible.

Enough on the loud pipes saves lives.

#11 ·
Drilling out the pipe with 1/2" holes on each side is not loud at all. It just adds a pleasant low frequency rumble. It is most noticable at idle and is not loud at all at full throttle. I'll post a video with sound when I can. Unfortunately, I don't have a stock Wing to compare to side by side at the moment.

#13 ·
Loud pipes are a fact of life even the law has loud pipes. There is loud then there is just plain stupid. if a well tuned good sounding bike has loud pipes I love it, That being said open pipes are a offensive and I agree I wont ride with them either. This being said the OP was looking for loud not stupid pipes.
DooKoo thanks for the post I think you saved me from drilling holes in my pipes as that is not the sound that I am after.

#14 · (Edited)
This is why I wished there was a stock wing next to mine to compare the sounds. The exhaust mod is not that much louder, just enough for me to hear the engine as I shift through the gears. It is quiet enough that you cannot hear it when the wind noise takes over at highway speeds. My wife hates loud pipes and never complains, even on 300+ milers. There is no way that this exhaust modification could be deemed an attention getter and I am sure it is well under the EPA sound standards as it is much quieter than most stock bikes. I seriously doubt the Sound Police will bat and eyelash when I drive by. Or, I must be going deaf like my wife says.

#18 ·
"Loud Pipes Save Lives" LOL

#19 ·
oh ya and "If I wanted a Windshield I'd drive a car"

#21 ·
#26 ·
I like my Kingsnakes. How everyone lese likes them will be a topic for discussion at the Western meet and greet I reckon. Dan, it's a well known thing that we on this forum are light years ahead of some other places...vastly superior, more intellectually driven, way more modest and all that stuff;):p

#30 ·
I like my quiet wing, though it seems to be getting louder each year. Doesn't draw much attention from the local leo's when you maybe going a little faster than you should be. Good the some tools? You should be able to get some almost new stock HD mufflers for next to nothing. LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.