Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine has an 82' Goldwing GL 1100. In 1st gear taking off from stop it has a knocking that sounds like it's coming from the left side valve cover. No knocking once you get going through the other gears. Has anyone had the same problem or might know what it could be? Before I start wrenching on the bike I would like to hve an idea of what exactly I need to be looking for. He probably could use an oil change on the bike but the level is good in the window.

Thanks to all who reply!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm a HD mechanic and have no experience with these older Goldwings...but someone told him that the carbs might be out of sync. I rode the bike and to me it doesnt sound or feel like a carb problem.

·
Registered
690 Posts
... HOWDY ... START OUT ON A SLIGHT DOWN HILL IN 2nd. GEAR AND IF YOU GET THE SAME NOISE IT MIGHT BE A ENGINE ISSUE ... IF NOT THAN COULD BE Ist. GEAR PROBLEM ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
151 Posts
had this problem on a few 81-82 wings. It was a dirty carb problem, the low speed pilot jets were not removable from the carbs so it took many attempts to clean them and the passage ways so the m/c would run on 4 cyl at idle or take off speed. once underway the m/c would run smooth an no noise. good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts