Votes: 1 100.0%
  • replace engine

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We received a 1982 1100cc Gold Wing and we have placed more lights, different seats and arm rests, allot of up grades and enjoy it for riding. However, at high speed and some times during acceleration the engine makes a noise that sounds like a rod knocking. It does not do so when engine is cold only when warm.

I have taken my noise stethoscope and listened to the engine at idle and it sounds good. No engine knock or noise at all sounds very sound. What is this noise and is it normal to this bike year?:eek::cool:

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
no need to vote, you are a member of the knockers club:) the knock is common to 1100 wings which don't like to be lugged. cruising around at say 2000 - 2500 rpm and is in the knock zone when accelerating

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
How high rpm before the knocking is present? Does it matter what gear or is it strictly rpm/speed related?
The noise you mention could be any of the things you put in your poll, difficult to nail down like this though. I'd check the timing belts first. If they're ok then i'd try and find a way to 'listen' with a stethescope while under way or at a given rpm on a mechanic bench. If you need to put the engine under load, see if you can find a shop with a dyno and you can listen to it that way. A bit costly to do that, but this is an engine you're dealing with so it might pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I don't recall my '82 knocking as described. I used 91 octane but don't know if that had any bearing on the problem. It would be a cheap fix, if so. My 2 cents.
Strat

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
it doesn't matter what octane fuel you use the knock is not detonation or ignition related it is torque and rpm related so keep the rpm's up don't shift into 5th untill your going about 45mph or more

1 - 5 of 5 Posts