Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not driven a motorcycle for 35 years until I got my current wing at the end of July. Now that I have 8000 plus miles under my belt I at least feel comfortable driving it.

It was loaded with chrome so I added nothing but Baker hand wings, the electrical connection by the battery,a TPMS, the backoff lights on back,headlight modulator, and a Led flasher on the trunk mount light. I felt like all this was safety related, in my mind anyway.

Mechanically, I had a Honda shop change plugs,flush clutch,flush brake system,check brakes, change oil and filter. I changed air filter and should have changed the other two filters up there as well, and put a new fuel filter in. also had the shop put on New Bias E3s on front and back and I put dyna beads in them with 90 degree steel valve stems.
I felt this was all safety related as well. I am slowly getting the wife to ride on the bike,her longest ride was60 miles. So it's a start. I bought her and I the proper safety riding gear with full face modular nolan104 helmets.

I do understand that if for whatever reason you come off the bike it is going to hurt while under way, and the last thing I want is to hurt my wife or myself. I hope I am thinking the proper way. I rode in the summer with shorts and tennis shoes but I always wear a helmet and does she.

Now that I tried to kind of lay out what I think was done to promote my wife and I having a great time on trips and being together on trips. I have a couple of mechanical questions that I have researched for the last couple of weeks that I need advice on.

I have always thought the front end of the bike felt funny, takes bumps hard, I have checked the air in the forks 6 lbs, I dropped it to 3, then to nothing and thought it rode softer and better. I installed a superbrace on it about 10 days ago and it felt great making slow turns. After the superbrace was on I filled up one day with the bike on the side stand, and when I stood it upright the front dropped noticeably. I checked for binding and could find nothing.i then had a friend come over and I locked the front brake and rocked the bike forward and he said it was moving down about 4 inches,as far as I know it has the factory springs in it. I now have asset of progressive springs and plan to install them next month. I was going to have the Honda shop do it, but I feel comfortable doing it myself and it will give me a sense of satisfaction that I could do it. I am building a spring compressed so I can put it back together. I have been reading about fork rebuilds on another site and feel good about doing it myself. What weight oil should I put in with the progressive springs? I have read everything from ATF,to 10-20 weight.? anything I should be aware of before take lying the forks?

Last advice is on fuel mileage, I have filled the bike up 63 times and I keep very accurate records. best I have ever got is 33.7 , been in the 30s only 3 of those 63 fill ups. Worst was22.6, overall average is 27.6

I do not drive a heavy throttle, try to keep it around 2900rpm which is 67 MPH by GPS,other than the iron butt ride and I ran 75 most of the time due to interstate driving and that was the speed limit.

I was at the Honda shop today and asking them about the mileage and the fork rebuild, they gave their opinion and I wanted more advise from people that have owned and ridden and worked on them for years.

I just have a gut feeling that the carbs are not in synch. The bike runs good,ideals at 850, am I going down the right path on the mileage?

I know this was a long post, but I just want to try to improve my mileage and ride, and keep the wife and I safe.

And stay out of the Honda shop so I don't buy a new 1800.

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
your carbs may be dirty also, try putting a half a can of seafoam in with your next fill up. milage drops dramaticly once you hit 70mph

·
Premium Member
11,289 Posts
If you are riding at 70 mph in open country, the mpg's are good. If you were on your back roads at 55-60 mph it is bad. But from what you have said I would say your mpg's is good and normal.
I have a 1200 and the last trip I ran out of gas at 190 mile mark. One up into a 40 mph wind @ 70 mph. I can get down to 27 mpg into the a strong wind @ 70 mph two up and loaded, without even trying.
Eric

·
Banned
464 Posts
Eric is right. My GL1500, which was ridden only on Ironbutt rides, was very sensitive to speed and to mother nature. I had segments where mileage was as low as 24mpg and others where it was as high as 38mpg.

However, overall your numbers seem a little low and Seafoam really helped my then-11-year-old GL1500. It is like magic.

On you comment abut filters; I changed the "other two" after 11 years and both had turned to dust.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have run about 8 cans of sea foam through it already, and every other fill up put in a couple ounces.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I have a 98 Aspencade, my fuel average is about 37 mpg, however, most of my riding is back roads at about 55-60 mph. When I ride two up mileage drops a bit and when I pull the trailer mileage drops even more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
"I know this was a long post, but I just want to try to improve my mileage and ride, and keep the wife and I safe."
"I rode in the summer with shorts and tennis shoes but I always wear a helmet and does she."

You need to make up your mind; keeping the wife safe, or riding in shorts and tennis shoes.

·
Premium Member
16,689 Posts
My 93, 1500 consistantly gets 39 to 41 riding one or two up and stay under 70 mph. When I hang a trailer on it, I can loose as much a 10 mpg.

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
Carb work (cleaning and sync) for sure. Air filter if not already done, and check those vacuum lines. The fork springs will do wonders for you too.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
39 front 41 back when they heat up the psi in front goes up 6 psi and the back 9 psi according to the TPMS. Running Dunlop e3 bias.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.