Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a simple way to clean the plastic panels as well as waxing. I also live far from a dealer but have a Walmart/Target/Kmart and a few national auto chain stores near for suggested products.

I've never had a bike with plastic panels before. I want to start off right.

Also the aluminum rims are begining to look like they are pitting. Are they coated with something or can I just remove the spots with a wire brush? I'll await a answer before I touch them.

Thank you

·
Registered
466 Posts
I need a simple way to clean the plastic panels as well as waxing. I also live far from a dealer but have a Walmart/Target/Kmart and a few national auto chain stores near for suggested products.

I've never had a bike with plastic panels before. I want to start off right.

Also the aluminum rims are begining to look like they are pitting. Are they coated with something or can I just remove the spots with a wire brush? I'll await a answer before I touch them.

Thank you
Are you talking about the "painted Panels"? or the black plastic parts?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Use a good wax that is clear coat safe, most are these days because almost everything has a clear coat, Turtle Wax ICE is good so is Megular. On the wheels I use Mothers Mag ans Aluminum polish. Don't let it get to bad or there will be no simple way to do it. I clean mine after every ride.
Check out the shine on my old 02 and my 08

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Care of the Tupperware ranges from pledge polish to Turtle Wax Ice to Plexius to expensive carnauba wax. Your choice. I use either Ice or Plexius on my panels. The aluminum rims are another animal. Joe is right, if they get pitted then you have a major project on your hands. If you use a wire brush you will scratch the rims which compounds the problem. Even some spray on products, if left on too long will corrode the rims. Best bet is to use something like Joe suggested and stay on top of the rims as best you can... It's a lot of work, but keeps you bike looking great. And we all know a clean bike runs better......

·
Registered
253 Posts
flw- You are a mind reader. I was going to ask this question about the rims.. I have been using a spray cleaner from the Honda Shop, but it doesn't do too well... I will try the suggested products.:)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have been using Busch cleaning products from Busch Enterprises on my rims. My rims got pretty rough and I had watched a company clean some pretty bad rims with very good results. I am pleased with my results after using these products. They offer a couple grades of an acid cleaner and a couple cleaners/sealers. The pitting as explained to me is brake pad and rotor dust embedding in the rim. These products help pull the crud out and seal up the surface. Once you get the rims clean, polished and sealed, a quick wipe down after each ride will keep them looking good. Price wasn't bad and the products easy to use.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I second blk93wing's post. Busch products are great for cleaning, polishing and sealing aluminum parts. Only issue I've had is finding the stuff locally. I stock up when the Nationals (car show) comes to Syracuse.
As to the painted parts, I use Lucas Slick Mist after washing. Super easy to apply, buffs out quickly and it can be applied in direct sunlight unlike some of the other detailing products. I use it on the windshield also.
Rob

·
Registered
123 Posts
...I clean mine after every ride.
Check out the shine on my old 02 and my 08...
Joe, your bikes are beautiful, but... after every ride????? I'd probably think twice about taking a ride if I thought I'd have to clean the bike afterwards. :eek:

·
Registered
123 Posts
For the plastic panels, Plexus is great (but expensive). Pledge (either lemon or "all-surface") is pretty good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. I've read for badly pitted rims to use wet sanding followed by polishing. Takes a lot of time if by hand but also more accurate.

I'll try some of the Busch products if I can find any. If not are there alternatives to the Busch stuff?

2. Turtle Ice or plege for plastic panels

3. Still not sure about chromed plastic panels?

·
Registered
87 Posts
For the plastic, I've been using Plexus and it works great. It is fairly expensive.

On the wheels, never use any steel on aluminum. Whether a brush or steel wool, you'll leave minute particles of the steel embedded in the pores of the aluminum and they will start rusting immediately and spread to the aluminum. If you must use a brush, use nylon or brass. I've been using Nevr-Dul on chrome and aluminum wheels for longer than I can remember and it does a pretty good job of removing rust from minor to medium pitting and also polishes.

Hoss

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
simple method for cleaning. take a short ride from home to my nephew marcus's car wash then go watch a movie while he and charles wash and wax my bike

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
I've used Mother's Chrome Polish on the plastic chrome parts and they look good.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
simple method for cleaning. take a short ride from home to my nephew marcus's car wash then go watch a movie while he and charles wash and wax my bike
Now I like your idea for cleaning the Wing. Wish I had a nephew close enough to get that done. I think your nephew is a little out of my way..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The Honda spray finish protector is real good on a clean bike, but not a 'cleaner' as such, but I do use it since it is real easy to apply/wipe down. The rims are a huge pain in my neck of the woods thanks to the bug population (I'm bad Joe, only do a real job on em once a week:eek:) and getting down on the prayer bones to do the job. All the products mentioned work real well (imo) depends only on availability in your area.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
A lot of good suggestions here with the products to use. After ever post on this subject I seem to spend more money buying more products. My suggestion is that no matter what product you use you should have your wife do it or you will "cut her off" ?????? My bike has never looked nicer and I get the benefit of not having to take the lead in the bedroom.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Semi-Chrome is a great alum. cleaner and polish + protector.......our local NAPA store carries it.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
I believe Oldtimer meant SimiChrome Polish by Happich? This stuff is GREAT!! You can use it on aluminum, chrome, gold, silver etc. Does not scratch fine metals. Makes the rims on my Vette and Wing shine like crazy. I buy the 1.76 oz. tubes on eBay. You can get some good deals if you buy 3 or more at a time - around $24 with free shipping. A little goes a very long way.
Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
After years of owning GWs, I finally decided to wash mine after every other ride by taking it to the local high pressure car wash. I pull in, put it on the center stand, put the coins in for at least 10 minutes, crank the bike, put it in 1st gear while kickstand is up. I use the wheel cleaner spray on the wheel while it is spinning and I use the wheel cleaner on areas where there is heavy bugs, grime, etc.
Then I put it on high pressure soap. I high pressure areas that aren't very electronically laden but even the dash area I pass the soap over everything but not with the trigger of the wand pressed.

As long as you don't force the spray very close to the buttons and switches, you'll be perfectly OK.
Let it gently pass over the whole dash and handle bar areas.

On the front areas of the bike , I pull the trigger and let the pressure bust off bugs, in-between the letters HONDA on the garnish, off the headlights, and other hard to get to areas.

Switch to rinse and use high pressure areas to clean non radio/dash areas but use the lower pressure to rinse those areas. Heavy rinse wheels, and other large areas.
Once I rinse thoroughly, I switch to spot free rinse and rinse until I'm out of time. I shut the bike off.

Now I take a super soft wrag from Advance Auto and spend 10 minutes drying everything and passing over my chrome wheels.

Afterwards, I drive it for 10 minutes at over 55mph trying to time it to be home at that time.

I re-dry areas along the side as wind usually blows the final drops of water along the bike and must be dried to eliminate spots.
My bike has 50K miles on it doing it this way and it looks like it is brand new. Never had problems doing this at all.

For touch ups in between these washes, I use Mequires Quick Detailer spray.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts