Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Goldwing, a brand new 2008 Airbag. With all the switches and electronics on the dash it would seem to be a good idea to have a cover for trips and rainy day commutes. I am thinking a half cover would be the way to go, covering the necessary areas, dash and seat and smaller to pack. I have seen some posts about issues with some covers scratching the windshield or body and problems with the antenna area tearing through. I would appreciate your experience, advice and recommendations. Thank you for your help.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
jimdidier, 1ST Welcome this is an awesome place with good people. 2nd I have a full Nelson Rigg cover for 3 years that is Heavy / has a soft cloth for windshield & have never had an issue. Now having said that it takes up some room aprox. 11"+8"+4". My wife & I are embarking on a X-country trip in June & I borrowed a lite Half cover from my brother to try on a short trip last year. I thought I would save space which it did, but I was not as happy with the coverage on the bike. There's a school of thought that if the whole bike is covered less people will be nosy, theory being I assume that they can't see what's under the cover so they don't pry. Not sure it holds true but I feel better when the bike is fully covered. Sorry for rambling but just my .02.

Oh by the way if you opt for a full cover just make sure it's vented so "baby" can breathe.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
172 Posts
I Use a Dowco Gaurdian Full cover. I carry it in my Luggage Rack bag along with some light rain gear. It's full coverage and has a soft liner for the windshield and it pretty watertight but can still breath. It has good elastic all around the bottom so holds on pretty well even in heavy winds. I do carry a Cover alarm that hides underneath and if the cover is lifted the alarm goes off (screaching siren). I know where the alarm is so I can cut it off before removing the cover. Ive had the cover for about 7 years and it still is in nice shape. I use it when we go out of town so I wont have to sit on a wet motorcycle in the morning. That and to keep the honest people honest

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I have a Tour King nylon cover. It's a half cover that folds up into a bag no bigger than a half a loaf of bread. You treat it with Kamp Dry and it works great. It takes up almost no room on the bike and covers all the important electronic stuff. Costs about $40. I've had full covers and they are just too big and stay wet too long. The Tour King you can just shake out and it ready to be put away. They also make them to fit bikes with tall windscreens like the Tulsa.

http://www.tourkingcovers.com/shop/

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Thread Hijack

I do carry a Cover alarm that hides underneath and if the cover is lifted the alarm goes off (screaching siren). I know where the alarm is so I can cut it off before removing the cover.
Heavy, who makes it my ears are up & you have my interest?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently purchased a UltraGard Polyester Cover. So far, I like what I see. It's lightweight, compacts to a reasonable size, is vented, has attached bungees to secure to the bike and has a flannel panel where it covers the windshield. I got mine from J.C. Whitney but had a 20% off everything code at the time and ended up paying $62.95.

Hoss

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Half sounds right

I think mine is a half cover. It is small and doesn't cover the engine. It is easy to put on and that is important. I had a full Nelson - Rigg and hated to crawl under it to fix the bottom strap. Actually the whole NR cover was a chore. If the thing isn't easy to apply you will soon come up with excuses not to use it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just purchased my first Goldwing, a brand new 2008 Airbag. With all the switches and electronics on the dash it would seem to be a good idea to have a cover for trips and rainy day commutes. I am thinking a half cover would be the way to go, covering the necessary areas, dash and seat and smaller to pack. I have seen some posts about issues with some covers scratching the windshield or body and problems with the antenna area tearing through. I would appreciate your experience, advice and recommendations. Thank you for your help.
Having had many of the covers mentioned--- they all do a good job --but there are a couple of tip that you might like to try
1 take an old cotton "T" shirt and pull it over your windshield first before putting your cover on and this is an extra protection for your windshield. keeps it nice and with no scratches

2. you can pick up foam pipe insulation at any hard ware store cut about a 6 inch piece of it for each anti-- it is slit on one side and is easy to put on the anti before putting on the cover---it keeps it from wearing on the sharp edges and will kepp your cover nice for a long time--- these two tips will work on both full covers or half covers

just to put my two cents in --I like a full cover better -- better protection and it does keep the noisey people out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts