Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to the group and I am getting ready to buy a 1999 GW 1500 SE this week and wanted to see if there were any special issues/problems I need to be watching for. I have to say from my simple inspection the bike is in mint condition with very low miles.

I have wanted to do this for many years but just never found myself in the position to carry thru. I have owned a couple other bikes in the past, a Honda 750 and then a Kawasaki 1500 but always wanted to move to a Gold Wing. Mostly because I want a bike that is comfortable for my wife and I to ride together on.

I have always felt like when I bought one I would look for a 1997-1999 simply because I like the later years the 1500 was made and didn't think I needed the 1800.

I would appreciate any positive/negative feedback on the bike. I have already read thru all the posting on the forum and have been helped but would love to get further insight. One thing I would like to know is what kind of MPG can I expect?

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
691 Posts
Congrats on the Wing. Depending on conditions, you will see 35 to 45 mpg. As far vas mileage on the bike, My 95 has a bit over 150,000 miles and runs great. I expect another 150,000 out of it. (Proper maintenance is the key) If it were me I would go for it.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I owned a 98 GL1500 SE for 11 years. Other than maint and tires it very seldom saw the dealer. Loved the bike, but wanted to step up to a 1800.

My mileage probably averaged much like lonewolftx, in the 38-45 range. I got a low of 25 with a 25 mph headwind, temps in the 20's and going 75 mph. I also got 52 on secondary roads crusing at 45 - 50 mph. So as you can see, your mileage will vary depending on riding style and conditions. But it is a great bike and with routine maint it should give you many miles of great service.

Welcome to the forum and hopefully the Wing family..

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
1999se

Hi Phillip, I'm also from the Land of Lincoln, about three hours west of you. I have a '94 1500 & like Lonewolf my bike has over 100k on it. I've had new alternator brushes put in, timming belts,& tires and that's about it. Your '99se should give you many happy miles, they are a very dependable and comfortable bike. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Phil, I own and enjoy a 1999 1500SE with 182,000 kilometres on it. As afar as mileage, do not really know, I drive what is needed or required at the time. I usually ride with a group as tail-gunner, so driving speeds vary, just put in gas when it needs it.

The only major mechanical problem I have had is a worn out alternator at around 170,000 km, just the usual brakes, tires and regular service. I believe very strongly in regular oil changes and maintenance.

What has cost me the most with this bike is the amount of chrome and trinkets that my wife has begged me to buy for the wing. Stay away from Americade, cost me a fortune just to keep my wife happy, sure glad she was not along to see all the stuff that I really could have bought her. LOL

Buy the bike, you will love it !!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just traded a 99 Aspencade for an 08 Wing. Mine had a whopping 58,000 miles on it. When I traded it, the guy who inspected the bike said the only thing it needed was more miles. I think the only non routine parts I put on mine was new front brake rotors. Buy it and ride the heck out of it.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF phil. i have a '93 se with about 46xxx miles and i just replaced front and rear brakes this year and front wheel bearings. i plan on doing timing belts in the spring

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys....thanks for all the feedback....you are confirming what I thought I had already learned, that it is a great bike and I am ready to get one. The tires were/are my only concern and I was thinking about putting new ones on this coming spring. If all goes well I should pick the bike up tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
1999 1500 Se

Just purchased one about 3 months ago which had 20,500 miles on it. Everything works on it. First Wing that I ever owned. The only thing that I don't like about it is the seat. To me this particular seat has the feeling that it is leaning a little forward. Broke down the other day and purchased an Ultimate Midrider for it. So far, I like the Ultimate much better. I am 6'1 1/2" tall and weigh 225. The Ultimate gives me the feeling that I am sitting in it not on it. Everything else is great.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 97 SE. On a recent 5000 mile trip I averaged about 35 mpg. On the freeway I was getting 30 mpg. Runs great though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a '99 used with 40,000 miles on it. It has over 70,000 on it now and it's been a very reliable bike. Some things to bear in mind: if the battery is not in tiptop shape, it won't start the bike - even if it'll turn the engine over. Get a good gel battery and a battery tender.
It's very difficult to work on compared to older bikes. I've been riding since the early 60's. I do all my own work - including tire changes. It takes a while to learn how to do all the maintenance - mostly because of all the plastic in the way. I keep notes on how I did things and now can do maintenance chores much more easily. For touring, there's nothing like this bike. But for pure fun, I ride my 1970 CB750.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts