Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get a good tire for a good deal? Dunlop from the Honda dealer is $285. Sounds a bit high too me???????

Thanks in advance, Scott!:D

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
might depend on day or time of year but I found mine at denniskirk.com last fall/best price/fast shipping.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
Where can I get a good tire for a good deal? Dunlop from the Honda dealer is $285. Sounds a bit high too me???????

Thanks in advance, Scott!:D
does that pric include instalation and is it a dunlop e3 tire

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Buzz is right to ask. DK has the tire for 149 but it takes a couple hours to get out the tire and another to put it all back. 285 isn't that bad considering.

I just went thru this in part to save money but mostly to bond with the bike. I was originally quoted $40 to mount 2 tires until I got there and in the end it still cost me $70 to have them mounted.

I wouldn't want to change out a rear tire for under $100 now that I have done it. Still glad I did it for me but if you aren't into spinning wrenches, I would suck it up and call it the cost of enjoying the ride.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
If that is the mounted price , it probably is about right for the Seattle Area. I usually ride over to Quince to Chet's Honda, but I usually get a set. I think the last set mounted was just over $500.00. That's usually less then you'll find on the coast. Doing it yourself can be brutal. If you need their phone number let me know.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
402 Posts
When I replaced my tires, I wound up going to the dealer. Tire prices were only slightly higher than the on-line prices and installation was $30/tire. I could have saved a few dollars by ordering the tires and R&Ring them myself, but dropping it off at the dealer for a couple hours -vs- battling it myself was a no-brainer to me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re. tire

$285 was for the Dunlop tire only. They did not say what kind. I am sure its an OEM tire. I am going to call the dealer again and double check. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks, Scott.....:)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'd check close on the installation charges. It's no nice job doing a rear 1500 (imo) so as long as the charge isn't outrageous it's worth it. Value is more than price...always.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'd check close on the installation charges. It's no nice job doing a rear 1500 (imo) so as long as the charge isn't outrageous it's worth it. Value is more than price...always.
Oh yeah... I forgot my 1800 is so much easier to get the rear tire off of. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Not in the last five minutes. I never thought I would say this but I'm looking forward to wearing out my motorcycle tire so I can get that Kumho run flat 195/ 55/16.
Are you going to use an air pressure sensor system with the Run Flat? I heard one should use one. I am going to try one out soon even though I don't have a run flat tire.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Are you going to use an air pressure sensor system with the Run Flat? I heard one should use one. I am going to try one out soon even though I don't have a run flat tire.
Probably not Larry. I can see why it might be a good idea but I'll just rely on the old method of handling feel to alert me that something is foul.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
I can see why it might be a good idea but I'll just rely on the old method of handling feel to alert me that something is foul.
Uhhhhh! It's a run flat, how ya gonna know genius.:confused:

Kumbaya My Lord Kumbaya. Aren't there Garage Doors somewhere that need to be fixed?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tire

Yes the tire is a e3 Dunlop. And it's $255 not $285 like I first said. That price is for the tire only. I had Newgate Honda in Ogden, quote me $60 in labor. It seems fair to me???
Also a Guy at my work told me the only drawback to wings is they eat up tires? Can anyone tell me why that is?

Thanks a lot guys!!!!!:D

SCOTT

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
are there any independent shops in your area? wings eat up tires because wing riders put a lotta miles on their bikes

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
don't know where your friend is coming from. From the perspective of a typical cars, yeah, they go quickly. From the perspective of other bikes, they last forever. My honda shadow gets about 8,000 miles on a tire.

$250 is too high just for the tire. Denniskirk.com has it for $149 plus shipping. See what shipping is and how much others will charge if you bring the tire. (it will change)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just had new Dunlop Elite 3's installed on my 2000 SE, front and rear, for $513 ($369 for the tires, $120 for installation/balancing and $24 for 2 new valve stems.) Two other dealers quoted about $270 for labor if I do not buy tires from them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yeah there are independent shops arourd me. I've checked some are higher than the Honda dealer and I found a few that were $5-$10 less. But all the service has been done on this bike at the NewGate Honda dealer. I am going to have them R/R and balance it. I will most likely get a tire online. The current tire on my bike now is a Dunlop K117 Touring tire? Is a E3 a better longer lasting tire? Or better yet what's the best quialty tire that will last the longest, and where can I get one?

Thanks in advance, Scott!!!:D

are there any independent shops in your area? wings eat up tires because wing riders put a lotta miles on their bikes

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Stick with the E3. It's a proven tire.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts