Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..I've ordered chaps from Amazon twice,and am about to return the SECOND pair!! I'm almost 60, fat as hell and my proportions wouldn't squeeze into a "bikini" if was a female and shaped like the worst combination of playdough and a horror pic!! I have a mountain trip planned in a few weeks....what's the best source for black leather chaps for ME???馃榿馃榿

Super Moderator
have you thought a pair of riding pants or over pants

Registered
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from? What do you want the chaps to do for you (impact protection, road rash protection, weather protection, fashion statement)?

If there is a rally or bike event nearby, there are always leather dealers' booths, and you can try some on. Any good cycle shops you can visit? You could look for a leather shop in your area to have some custom made to your needs. I know someone that purchased theirs from a farm supply store and they were true working grade chaps. Colorado chaps seems like a good company to work with:

IMHO, overpants provide better impact, abrasion and weather protection if you can find a proper fit. Vanson (leather) as well as Motoport and Aerostitich (textile) all offer size tailoring vs. off-the-shelf cuts. All are also American companies and offer Made In USA products. They also offer Black Friday specials. Might be worth your time to look into them.

Registered
Ok..I've ordered chaps from Amazon twice,and am about to return the SECOND pair!! I'm almost 60, fat as hell and my proportions wouldn't squeeze into a "bikini" if was a female and shaped like the worst combination of playdough and a horror pic!! I have a mountain trip planned in a few weeks....what's the best source for black leather chaps for ME???馃榿馃榿
How about these - I've used some like them and they are easier to get into for those of us with your described body type.

Here's the link

Sleeve Gesture Font Knee Tie

Reactions: Freedom

Premium Member
Arctix Men's Snowsport Cargo Pants (dunhamssports.com)
I have a pair of ski pants I wear as riding pants. Mine are unlined and wear them over blue jeans (great in the rain too). Check sporting goods stores, they have all kinds of lined and unlined pants much cheaper than motorcycle specific pants.

• Love
Reactions: Freedom

Registered
Since you've struck out twice online I'd stay away from online ordering and find a store where you can go in and try before you buy. There might be a tailor in your area who works with leather and can take your measurements and custom make chaps to your body type. Of course this is going to cost $$$ but you'd have what you want and it would last for years.

I like the ski pants idea which would be cheaper than custom made chaps.

No offence meant on this next comment - you might consider what you're going to look like in chaps vs regular moto or ski pants, and how easy is it to move around while wearing them.
You mention a trip to the mountains, this means you'll be getting off the bike to get gas, maybe take a hike or go into a restaurant to eat.

Registered
I would suggest you call Jim's Cycle Shop in Axtell, TX. They are a real motorcycle shop and have the best prices I have seen anywhere on leather good. I bought all my stuff there and the quality is great. You can tell them your pants size and length and they will get you what you need. Good luck.

Administrator
Thank you Bob! I鈥檓 on the fence about whether to wait or to take those riding boots to the repair shop. What would be the recommendation?
Those are fine for around the parking lot after a long ride dodging pelicans.

• Haha
Reactions: Madrissian
1 - 20 of 24 Posts