Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1986 Goldwing -- had left it sit two months - Will not start - Thought it was the battery as it turned over a bit - bought new battery - no luck -- now it just clicks

What would it be and where would I find instructions to fix it.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Make sure the connections are tight and clean and that the "new" battery is fully charged. If it's not, it won't turn over the engine...

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
First establish that the head gasket has not seeped into the cylinder and that the motor is not locked up. Pull the plugs out and spray something like wd40 in then put it in a high gear and rock the bike to see if the motor is going to turn over. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
make sure you turned the petcock on so it gets gas and make sure the battery is fully charged

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
With those checks done, motor will turn over, battery is ok. Battery conection clean and tight. You could check the battery drops volts when pressing the starter button. If you think there could be a problem with the solinoid, tap the strater motor with a ............ hammer. Spray the starter button with electrical cleaner [I use wd40]. You can by-pass the bikes electrcal system by putting a jumper cable on the Earth [ground] jumper cable from the battery to as close to the starter as posiable. The positive from the live side of the battery straight to the live post on the starter. With this done you may need to rebuild the starter motor if it will not turn over at this point. Eric

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If it was OK when you parked it 2 months ago then:
1. New battery was not put in service properly.
Take it back and ask them to check it and either properly charge
it or you want an exchange for one that is correctly prepped!
Thats assuming you cleaned and tightened all the battery cables
correctly!
2. If you did not put Stabil in or did not run it long enough after
putting it in, then you need to drain the carb bowls and get fresh
gas in the carbs.
Gas starts to go stale in as little as 2 weeks. Doesn't mean it's no
good in 2 weeks but in 2 months it's getting there!
There's no reason to suspect the motor locked up in just 2 months!
Please let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
Yes I didn't read it properly the first time. I was taking it that the motor was was not turning over. I have just been on a ride and was hoping you check the kill switch as I got tricked with it sometime ago. It was sooooo embarrassing to find it on because I never use it, I didn't check it for about 5 minutes. And nearly flatten the battery. The motor would turn over but would not fire up. So dsiregard my first post.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Yes I didn't read it properly the first time. I was taking it that the motor was was not turning over. I have just been on a ride and was hoping you check the kill switch as I got tricked with it sometime ago. It was sooooo embarrassing to find it on because I never use it, I didn't check it for about 5 minutes. And nearly flatten the battery. The motor would turn over but would not fire up. So dsiregard my first post.

Stupid kill switches. I've never done anything like that. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts