Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know how to tell the mobil one I'm looking at the store is for bikes/wet clutches ?

Does it have to say motorcycle or is there a abbreviation for this?

So it would be Mobil 1 XXX ?

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Amsoil book says to make sure you use an oil without "friction modifiers". I think that is the same thing as "Energy Conserving". I think all motorcycle oil is made to work with the wet clutches, but your right to make sure before you use the oil.
Chrisgl1800

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Mobil Racing 4T is the proper oil for the bikes.

If for some reason you wish to use an automotive oil, be sure to look for the following API Specifications... API SG or SG/SH... A higher API Rating than SG May be used if it has a JASO MA or MA 2 Rating.

If for some reason you wish to use a diesel oil, it must have a CG or CG/CH Rating. Anything CH or higher May be used IF it has the JASO MA or MA 2 Rating.

Oil, is the LifeBlood of your Engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That's Bob for you, even if someone is determined to use another product, he's there with the helpful advice, and the information to back it up. Not all distributors or dealers will do that. Thanks again Amsoil Dealer Group!

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I would like to try Amsoil in my bike, but up here they sale the oil 18 to 20 bucks a liter crazy, so I use mobil 1 oil for year's very good oil and cheaper

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I would like to try Amsoil in my bike, but up here they sale the oil 18 to 20 bucks a liter crazy, so I use mobil 1 oil for year's very good oil and cheaper
Send me an email [email protected] and tell me you want the Canada PC form.

I will send it in an attachment along with some info that I cannot post in a public site.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
That's Bob for you, even if someone is determined to use another product, he's there with the helpful advice, and the information to back it up. Not all distributors or dealers will do that. Thanks again Amsoil Dealer Group!
Thanks budoka,

I have no problem giving info on good competing products. At the same time, I have no problem telling what the crappy one's are too ! LOL

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've used Mobile1 20W50 in GL1800 for years.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I've used Mobile1 20W50 in GL1800 for years.
Not sure why anyone would use a 20W-50 in a Wing... The recommended oil viscosities are 10W-30 and 10W-40.

There is no extra protection by using a higher viscosity oil and in fact causes issues such as loss of HP and loss of fuel Mileage.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not sure why anyone would use a 20W-50 in a Wing... The recommended oil viscosities are 10W-30 and 10W-40.

There is no extra protection by using a higher viscosity oil and in fact causes issues such as loss of HP and loss of fuel Mileage.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
My owners manual, under other viscosities says I can use 20W50 from 35Degs to 100+. Since I live in Florida, and until this past May in South Fla. my bike has never seen anything near 35 degs, and many many days of 100+. I started out using Amsoil, but when the price got almost double Mobile1 I switched. I got 99,000 miles on this bike and I've got to believe I haven't done anything wrong. I am from the old school of higher viscocities in warmer weather. I believe this thing about lower weight oil started with the auto companies in order to get their mpg down, not worried about the long term effect of wear. Actually I just put in Amsoil 10W40 because I am planning on some cold weather on my yearly ride to the Smokies starting this weekend. I had to pay almost $12 a quart at Ace Hardware for Amsoil. I get Mobile1 from Wallyworld (WallMart) at about $7. I am a big fan of Amsoil, but can't justify the cost.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
My owners manual, under other viscosities says I can use 20W50 from 35Degs to 100+. Since I live in Florida, and until this past May in South Fla. my bike has never seen anything near 35 degs, and many many days of 100+. I started out using Amsoil, but when the price got almost double Mobile1 I switched. I got 99,000 miles on this bike and I've got to believe I haven't done anything wrong. I am from the old school of higher viscocities in warmer weather. I believe this thing about lower weight oil started with the auto companies in order to get their mpg down, not worried about the long term effect of wear. Actually I just put in Amsoil 10W40 because I am planning on some cold weather on my yearly ride to the Smokies starting this weekend. I had to pay almost $12 a quart at Ace Hardware for Amsoil. I get Mobile1 from Wallyworld (WallMart) at about $7. I am a big fan of Amsoil, but can't justify the cost.
The Viscosity recommendations in the manual are for Petroleum oil. M-1 Racing 4T is not available in all Wal-Mart Stores but, in most locals where I have seen it, it runs around $9.95 which is about the same as AMSOIL purchased through me. AMSOIL is even less if bought by the case (12 qts)...

I can't help what ACE Hdwe charges even though around $11.95 per qt on MCF is a fair price. I just choose to run my business as a wholesale business.

Not only that, although M-1 4T is an excellent product, you should not extend the drain interval as you can with AMSOIL using the AMSOIL filter, which now cuts the price in half if figured in Cost per Mile.

You should have come up for Wings Over the Smokies this last weekend. It was my third year as a Vendor and have already put a deposit down for next year. Hopefully they will have the new building done so we can be inside.

As I Always say....

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts