Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 1989 Gl1500 back from the shop last Friday after paying a big bux to have the carbs completely rebuilt, brake and clutch fluids changed, and the rear brake assembly rebuilt. I rode it home and parked in my garage nose-forward as usual. Went out this AM to ride it to work and the reverse level would not lift up; it's stuck in the down position. Thankfully, it's not stuck in reverse!

I called the shop and explained the problem - which was not there b4 the bike went in for mtc. So I can discuss this semi-intelligently with the shop this afternoon, what are likely causes of this that could result form taking the bike apart to pull and rebuild the carbs? Is there something that the mech likely unhooked and forgot to hook back up?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Well they would have to had removed the handle itself to get the plastic off to get to the carbs. Maybe they did not install the handle back properly. There is a pin that has to be put in the correct place or the reverse will not engage. Hopefully they did not loose the pin when they took it off. Mine came off the handle the last time I had my carbs off. I almost forgot to put it back on.

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
There is a possibility that they have something hooked up incorrectly. Not to sound condescending, but are you pulling the lever out before trying to lift it?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Should / could be part number 7 in this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everybody for your replies. I feel like such a schnook. The handle is working correctly for the first time and i didn't realize it because i was in such a hurry to get to work. Prior to the service, you just pulled the handle up or pushed it down Now, after service, I have to pull the handle out some and then up or down. It actually "locks" in place now so as not to accidentally become disengaged, which prior to the service it would now and then.

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
All that matters is that you're up and running again GW. It's a very simple system really, but I remember having brain(fart) related things with my 1500 and the reverse, so you're certainly no alone. How simple is the kill switch and how often does that confound us? :eek:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Glad you got the problem solved......

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I was just gonna suggest to check the dumma-flickie-pin. My Interstate doesn't have reverse, but it does have a dumma-flickie-pin.

I have 2,711 posts without helping anyone with anything. Imagine that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts