Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I bought all the stuff to install my Zumo 660 on my 2008 GL1800, using a RAM mount on the clutch reservoir. I noticed two screws in the fuse box by the battery for accessories. The Zumo motorcycle cable actually reached the fuse box running the wire under the fairing. I was surprised how relatively easy things were going even though I did scrape up my hands a bit running the wires. I went to loosen the screws on the fuse box to connect the wires and I couldn't get them loose. I started to mess up the philps heads so I stopped. I verified the correct size screw driver. I can't believe these things are in that tight. Does anybody have any good suggestions on how to loosen them.

Thanks,
Penguin

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might want to try a drywall apex bit. They have small teeth on the flues and grip real welll. You might also try valve grinding compound it will also stop the bit from slipping. The last thought is to try tightening the screw they may help to free up the threads. No more ideas-good luck.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I think " Rapier " had the same problem on his '10 Wing when he added a volt meter. I'll be seeing him later today and ask him about that issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I did spray some electrical lubricant on and let it sit over night. I am just surprised these tiny little screws are in so hard.

I will try the suggestions and let you know what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vice grips did the trick. Man we had to tighten them down a little more after we got them on. I bought the smallest pair I could find at the hardware store. When we started we still didn't think they were going to loosen. They broke free with that loud click. It didn't look like lock tight was on them. I am going to buy some hex heads to replace them.

Thanks for the help.

Penguin

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Vice grips did the trick. Man we had to tighten them down a little more after we got them on. I bought the smallest pair I could find at the hardware store. When we started we still didn't think they were going to loosen. They broke free with that loud click. It didn't look like lock tight was on them. I am going to buy some hex heads to replace them.

Thanks for the help.

Penguin
Using a set of vise grips is exactly how I freed mine up. And yeah, that click when it finally broke loose was a "little concerning"! Sounded like something broke instead of just breaking loose!

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't believe they were in that tight. I don't know if one of the mechanical robots inserts and tightens the screws but man. I tossed the screws, were messed up anyway, and replaced with button head allen wrench, wanted hex nut driver heads but I couldn't find a pair short enough. +1 on the sound of them breaking loose.

Zumo installed and working great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts