Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced head gaskets 3 times on my 1986 aspencade ,and it has blown them every time. It blows them inbetween the cylinders. I even had the heads surface ground this last time. I am woundering if the head bolt could be streched. book dosnt say any thing about it. Thanks for your help Shawn L.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Is the bike overheating? Are you setting the torque correctly? Are the plugs the correct ones?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Could be a multitude of things Shaun. You had the heads ground, what's the block like?? Try a straight edge and feeler blades across it (try the blade under the straight edge to check if its flat or not).
As you say could be head bolts are stretched. Easy way is to get a new set and measure them against the old ones. If the new ones are shorter you can be fairly sure the old ones are stretched v

If all else fails clean the head and block up spotlessly clean and try again. Small marks in the blocks gasket face could also be an issue.

If you're struggling feel free to PM me.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi shawn, if your sure the head an block sealing surfaces are straight an correct and proper head gaskets are being used, try adding a shim washer under each head bolt to keep them from bottoming out from possible stretching. I have never encountered a stretched head bolt on a 1200 wing but you may be the first. also what torque are you using on the head bolts. 42 to 45 lbs come to mind. good luck

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
hi shawn, if your sure the head an block sealing surfaces are straight an correct and proper head gaskets are being used, try adding a shim washer under each head bolt to keep them from bottoming out from possible stretching. I have never encountered a stretched head bolt on a 1200 wing but you may be the first. also what torque are you using on the head bolts. 42 to 45 lbs come to mind. good luck
+1

I assume you're using the Honda recommended torque pattern (tightening order & torque values) too? My '84-'87 Clymer manual calls for torques of 40 ft. lbs. for the 10mm bolts and 7 ft.lbs. for the 6mm bolts. It shows 7 bolts for a 1200 head. The bottom one is the 6mm bolt, the rest are 10mm. And, the torque pattern IS interesting:
- Start with bottom center 10mm bolt as #1, and the top center bolt as #2. So the torque pattern says that the final tightening to the target values is from the center of the head out.
-#3 is the lower left of the 10mm bolts; #4 is upper right; #5 is lower right; #6 is upper left; and #7 the 6mm bolt at bottom center.
Unless you've been following this pattern and taking it down slowly and equally, it make have caused just enough of a center bow to produce what you're experiencing.
And I'd definitely use new head bolts just to eliminate it as a factor.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Are you using a good quality Torque wrench. Some of the cheap wrenchs give faulse readings.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You got that right! I had a torque wrench screw up WHILE torquing mains one time but luckily i caught it.
When you say "Clean" ???? Just make sure that isn't just wiping a rag across the block and head. I always spray a light coat of 'Brake-Kleen' across both and blow dry them with the air hose.The next item that touches that area is the gasket.Make sure nobody is playing around the gaskets too getting them oily.NO GASKET SEALER,and proper torque sequence like mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome Shaun, can't add much more to what's been said above though. I'm leaning towards the bolts or a minute discrepancy in either the head or the block. Where exactly does the gasket start leaking when it fails?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Afternoon Shaun, other than whats been said above, the only other thing I can add is to make sure both gasket surfaces are scrupulously clean and flat. Even a 2 or 3 thou (.002" or .003" bow would set up a potential leakage area).

If you`re block faces are out of flat I`d get them skimmed/flashed (a very light cut across on a mill or possibly a lathe depending on what you have to hand or can get access to). A decent machine shop shouldn`t charge the earth for flashing a couple of blocks, you might strike lucky and get someone who will do it at a lunch time or after the normal working day as a cash in hand job (what I would call a foreigner!).

Other than that, can`t really sugguest much more. Please let us know how you get on and what (if anything) you find!

All the best

Matt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.