Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2012 Goldwing, 12,000 miles on it. Low miles because I am now a retired medically due to military injuries and been unable to ride for a couple years due to surgeries etc.. The bike was parked in a heated garage, started every couple months moved it around and drove it a couple miles then back, which I could handle.. and had a trickle on it for a couple days every six months.

I started it yesterday and let it warm up. Pulled it out of the garage. This is the year I find out if I can indeed ride again or have to sell it due to my injuries.

I stopped it in the middle of the driveway. Let it run a few minutes at idle to let GPS and everything sync. Then shut it down.. Turned on the radio for a bit while I did some other things nearby... Suddenly the radio stopped. Went to check and the bike was dead.. completely and utterly. Could not believe it would drain the battery that fast.

It ain't the battery.. Battery has a full charge. Next to the battery is a fuse box the includes the main 60A and 30A fuses.. Pull ALL fuses, all are good visually and test.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
when you stated the battery is full charged............ how did you test it?
volt meter or a load tester?
they can show correct voltage but not be able to put out any amperage, and only a load tester will determine

Reactions: Jinx

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you stated the battery is full charged............ how did you test it?
volt meter or a load tester?
they can show correct voltage but not be able to put out any amperage, and only a load tester will determine
Both.. am military trained in electronics thus if I have to tear apart the bike to find the issue, I can.. Just hope this is an issue seen before and someone can steer me to a known thing to look for before I start tracing the electrical..

Keep in mind, the bike was only playing the radio maybe 15 minutes and was just fine, started fine. Tester when I first started it showed proper voltage and amp once the bike was started. Anyhow, it was fine as I said.. and just sitting there with the radio on, it stopped and now the entire bike is dead as a doornail.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
electrical gremlins are always a pain in the backside

The only things similar that has happened to me:
had a battery take a dive, road it home from work, then went to go run an errand and nothing
had a kill switch self destruct while driving.... but that only kills the ignition...not the radio

hopefully someone else will be along and give you another pointer

·
Super Moderator
7,607 Posts
You can use the battery from your car with jumper cables to see if the bike starts (Do not run the car). This will tell you if its the fault lies with the battery or the bike.
How old is the battery?
Load test the battery, it may have been good for one start and its done. It could have a bad cell? Do you have access to a load tester?
You may want to check the alternator, if the bike was running prior to shutting down, it was running off the battery.
Check to see if the alternator is returning a charge to the battery. The alternator may need a good cleaning inside.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the problem... Not the bike or the battery... my battery charger and test unit is/was the problem... In the US Navy, we were always taught to "trust" our BITE (built in test equipment until it was the last thing remaining)... so I did.. Turns out it went bad after I had tested everything the first time, maybe when I started the bike somehow a spike occurred and fed back into the unit.. Well not only did it not go into charge mode after that, it apparently went into discharge mode as if it were going to test the battery.. .except it no longer comes out of that mode now.

I figure at this point this unit will make a great target for my frustration on my gun range.. LOL Ironically, I pulled out my old boat anchor charger and it was that old boat anchor that can also test load that showed the problem.. It's now recharging the bikes battery which was a ZERO amps after that.

Thank God for small miracles... Today has not been a perfect spring day (it is beautiful today, 74F, light breeze first spring like day here in Wisconsin in a long time at this temp) when it comes to spring maintenance and checks... My John Deere 1023e tractor blew it's front 4 wheel drive seal as well today... and THAT is going to be an expensive fix... I need a beer or three...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
glad you found the problem

but I have had those days........ where it seems like everything you touch breaks or won't work or you can't find it

best of luck with it all

I will have a beer in your honor

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good luck Malakie with solving those electrical problems. I fear them more than anything else. A speedo flamed out on a BMW cruiser bike years ago. Searched for help on internet. Bought new wire harness for hundreds of dollars. Ended up being a severed ground wire.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Built in test equipment is fine, if you have it, such as an on-baord voltmeter. But I will still double check. Personally, I prefer a good VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) to do my testing. For load testing, a good quality load tester can not be beat.
Battery Load Tester.jpg

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
One suggestion. How old is the gas ? I know you found the original problem and this has nothing to do with that. Just fought a no start problem on a buddy's 1975 GL1000 . Turned out to be old gas . So if it has been sitting in the bike for a few years I would replace it. The fuel ignition system can be very expensive and time consuming to repair .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts