Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Just got a 2009 GL1800AL with Premium Audio pkg. I now need two or three headsets. Two full face, one shorty. Should I get the Hondaline, or is there a decent quality alternative? I'm told that the OEM sets are expensive. Are they better quality? I want good audio, and a decent mike. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks]

Randy
Toronto, Ontario

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Randy? Oh, different person. Sorry. But you gotta be a good guy.

By far, the most popular brand is J&M. I've never tried them, but also coming on strong in recent years has been EdSets, Check them both out.

·
Super Moderator
28,515 Posts
Well Randy, it appears that Randy has you off to a good start. We (the wife and I) have had J&M's for the past 9 years. They work great and have several lines in quality to price. EdSets as Randy also pointed out have a good following but are more costly.

Just last week the wife and I changed to the Scala Freecom 2 headsets and no longer are using the onboard communications. They pared up easily and appear that they work well. The verdict is still out though because we were not on the bike but walking around the house with our helmets on. We will see how they work once we are able to get out and ride.

Reactions: Weege

·
Super Moderator
14,576 Posts
I've had J&M headsets since I got my bike seven years ago. They have worked well. A trick with them is not to set the helmet down with the cord on the bottom. It doesn't take a season of that to wear the cord inside and you will need to replace it. After the my third replacement I started laying the helmet on it's side and no problems since.

Can't speak to the Bluetooth but that may be my next choice.

·
Administrator
25,891 Posts
Hondaline sets are made by J&M but you'll pay a premium price for them. J&M has different price point levels so it depends on how high end you want to go. I've given up on corded coms, they fail too often for my liking so I'm going Sena

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am wondering if using the corded version vs Bluetooth has a better sound or not using OEM connections. We just bought a GL1500 trike and want to look into helmets now, just unsure where I will get better sound? Thanks for your suggestions to a first timer on forums!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have always used Bluetooth headsets on the wing. I used a corded headset on previous bikes that worked good unless a connector loosened up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gotcha! The one thing I think I would gain by using the corded connection is the CB set up. Not sure that is a big advantage, but it may come in handy someday? Do the Bluetooth headsets have a microphone to speak into?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
We use Sena headsets and we love it! Sena also makes a thing that plugs into your bikes infotainment system. It's an SM10 or if you have a CB radio the freewire is the way to go. It keeps you from being tethered to the bike and you can also connect to your phone which you can't do with the wired headsets I believe. You can use your phone for navigation as well.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Randy? Oh, different person. Sorry. But you gotta be a good guy.

By far, the most popular brand is J&M. I've never tried them, but also coming on strong in recent years has been EdSets, Check them both out.
Edsets website is down. I've read they he is no longer in business.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Gotcha! The one thing I think I would gain by using the corded connection is the CB set up. Not sure that is a big advantage, but it may come in handy someday? Do the Bluetooth headsets have a microphone to speak into?
Yes, the Bluetooth headsets do have a microphone. They generally pair to each other and to one or more devices.
We use the Sena brand and have added an SR10 unit that allows the headset to pair to the bikes audio system and a two way radio. This way you can hear music and GPS instructions from the bike (if it has GPS) and communicate over a two way radio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We use Sena headsets and we love it! Sena also makes a thing that plugs into your bikes infotainment system. It's an SM10 or if you have a CB radio the freewire is the way to go. It keeps you from being tethered to the bike and you can also connect to your phone which you can't do with the wired headsets I believe. You can use your phone for navigation as well.
Yes, the Bluetooth headsets do have a microphone. They generally pair to each other and to one or more devices.
We use the Sena brand and have added an SR10 unit that allows the headset to pair to the bikes audio system and a two way radio. This way you can hear music and GPS instructions from the bike (if it has GPS) and communicate over a two way radio.
I see. So you either buy a headset and add it to your existing helmet, or buy a helmet that is already equipped? if thats the only 2 options, which is the better of the 2??

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I see. So you either buy a headset and add it to your existing helmet, or buy a helmet that is already equipped? if thats the only 2 options, which is the better of the 2??
I don't think one is better than the other. If you get a comm that attaches to you helmet you can transfer it to a new lid. Where as a lid already equipped you can't. Also a lid already equipped you don't have an Easter egg on the side of your head but again the Easter egg moves from one lid to another. We have Shoei Neotec ll lids with Sena SRL units made for that lid. So unless Shoei makes a new helmet that accepts the SRL we will have to buy new communicators to go with new lids "if" we follow guidelines and replace our lids every 3 to 5 years as recommended.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts