Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 1100 Gold Wing. I changed my battery the entire bike is shut down. I checked the 30 amp main fuse (good). There is juice comming from the front two terminals in the plug at the main fuse. Is there suppose to be juice comming from all four of those terminals? I don't know what that small round can is behind the main fuse is and has that got something to do with the shutdown?? Can anyone point me in the right direction on this. Thanks Dean

·
Registered
752 Posts
Can you tell us more of what happened? Why was the battery changed? Was the bike in running condition before you swapped out the battery? Which connection did you take off first? Was the key in the on position when you swapped out the battery? Most importantly Did you short the wrench to ground when you were tightening the positive post?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Also what diagnostic tools do you have at your disposal? What are you using to check for voltage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gold wing

Can you tell us more of what happened? Why was the battery changed? Was the bike in running condition before you swapped out the battery? Which connection did you take off first? Was the key in the on position when you swapped out the battery? Most importantly Did you short the wrench to ground when you were tightening the positive post?
The old battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore after sitting all winter. I drove the bike last Oct. I usually take the + off first. The key was off I didnt short the wrench but I had taken some tape off a wire to resplice it and I figured that may have blown a fuse. All the fuses under the tank looked good except one that I replaced. So, that may have shorted something out. Is there another fuse I should be looking for? Thanks piles for your help. Dean

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Sorry I'm not up on the 82.
Point of interest, remove the negative connection off the battery first. That way if in the process of disconnecting the positive lead, you touch the frame with your wrench, you won't draw sparks.
And that little can might be one of the solenoids in the starter circuit.
Sorry I could be of more help.

·
Premium Member
8,359 Posts
Hi Odeano,

You're in good hands with knelson1969. I always read his posts. Very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
752 Posts
For the future plus one for removing the negative post first. My guess is the same either your wrench has shorted to ground and blew a fuse or because the bike is so old perhaps you have discovered a poor connection. You will need a digital volt meter and or a 12 volt test light. I have a test light that test for power and grounds it also will inject power to a circuit for test purposes and it has a built in breaker to protect both the vehicle and operator of the tool.
My first suggestion is to keep it simple And recheck your work look for a wire near the battery that could have been left off check all plug in type connections for corrosion
Once you are sure your work is good and connections are solid around the area you have been working use your dvom or test light and test every fuse on the bike some fuses are hot all the time some are hot when the key is on. Be sure to test each fuse reguardless of what it operates and take notes as to each circuit that is dead this will aid in diagnostics.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hi Odeano,

You're in good hands with knelson1969. I always read his posts. Very knowledgeable.
Thanks for the vote of confidence however I am just a small part of the team.
So let's keep the ideas coming until the OP hears his Wing running as it should

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
I just last fall went through an issue with my riding mower. Wouldn't start load test showed that battery after 7 years was dead. New battery still wouldn't start. Cleaned all the connections, and all is well.
Start by cleaning all the connections on the battery and cables.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I guess he was a hit and run

·
Registered
236 Posts
More info needed .I also have a 1100. Feel your pain .The can behind the dog bone fuse is the solenoid switch to the starter. it powers up when the starter button is pressed ..Do you get lights on your dash when key is on? ,like power etc, with the key on any horn? the ing switches can go bad , quick no notice. .let us know

1 - 11 of 11 Posts