Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As previous posted, I have three bikes, the Goldwing being the latest purchase a few weeks ago. Selling the Honda ACE 1100.
I listed it on Craigslist.

Now a man who says he wants to pay me with Pay Pal. I do have a Pay-Pal account, and is varified. But only used it on the ebay thingy.
Never used it on a person to person sale.

He wanted to know if it would be fine for a transport company to pick up the bike. He is set on Pay-Pal. I said would rather bank transfer.
He insist so much on Pay-Pal. Something just don't seem right. Like he don't seem to even want to test fire the bike.
All this is done by texting, somehow he has a funny phone number, but when asked, he states he is a marine engineer, presently working offshore, which may be why his number is different than usual.
Am I just parinoid, or is Pay=Pal secure enough. Who pays for Pay Pal transfering the $$ to my bank account. By my thinking, after he pays for a transport company to move this machine, he could buy one new. Many questions has hit me.
If Pay Pal holds the money until the bike gets delivered, and he changes his mind. I'm stuck with my bike half way across the nation. I think the best way is bank transfer. What do you think.
I asked where he was from, and he says Pacific WA, I am in Louisiana.
Give your idea of the situation .....

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
whats the area code on the phone number? i would check that, it will tell you where the phone was purchased anyway

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
I would also talk to paypal & find out from them how it would all go down. They deal with that stuff all the time.
I seem to remember paypal only allowing $2,500.00 ?????? transactions unless you have a commercial account.

I have to agree sounds fishy but it may be the real deal as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes. As difficult as it may be, I would tell the guy "no thanks" and wait until someone locally comes by and looks at the bike and puts CASH in my hand.

JMHO

Good luck with the sale.
What I just might do.
The bike is mine, paid for since it was picked up. I've got the title. I've got bike !!! I'm not starving to death. Not hurting anything with the battery tender hooked up to the machine. Life is to good for something crazy to step into.
Yes, I would like to move it., but don't need the stress of something going stupid ..... and costing more than my bike or money !!!!

....... two guns

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
That doesn't look like any phone number I've ever seen.
I would take the PayPal, only if he would wait for the funds to clear before releasing the bike to a transport company.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That doesn't look like any phone number I've ever seen.
I would take the PayPal, only if he would wait for the funds to clear before releasing the bike to a transport company.
Been reading up on PayPal.
They will charge me 2.9% on 3400 $, and then charge me again when I transfer it to my bank account.

He give me a email address. Just told him I'm selling a motorcycle, not running a chat line, if he wants the bike, give me a real number to call ....
If he is really up to up, he can to a bank to bank transfer.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Seriously....2 guns...Don't do this. I do a lot through Pay Pal. Remember, they protect the buyer much better than the seller. If he pays you with a Credit Card and doesn't like the product, he can simply tell the CC company he isn't satisfied and they will pull your money from your backup source. Lost $914.00 that way. It was gonna cost me much more to get my money from a person in California.

My cousin had listed a Harley Sportster on Craigslist and received an identical offer. The guy said he was moving and just couldn't pick the bike up and would send the money Paypal and a transport company would pick it up. It is some sort of a scam. You could probably get Paypal to fight with you on it, but it would be a nightmare to get the bike or your money back. DONT DO IT!!!! I don't list on Craigslist...I use biketrader or ebay. They would have to give a deposit and pay cash on pick-up or delivery.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seriously....2 guns...don't do this. I do a lot through pay pal. Remember, they protect the buyer much better than the seller. If he pays you with a credit card and doesn't like the product, he can simply tell the cc company he isn't satisfied and they will pull your money from your backup source. Lost $914.00 that way. It was gonna cost me much more to get my money from a person in california.

My cousin had listed a harley sportster on craigslist and received an identical offer. The guy said he was moving and just couldn't pick the bike up and would send the money paypal and a transport company would pick it up. It is some sort of a scam. You could probably get paypal to fight with you on it, but it would be a nightmare to get the bike or your money back. dont do it!!!! I don't list on craigslist...i use biketrader or ebay. They would have to give a deposit and pay cash on pick-up or delivery.

Thank you so much !!!! This is what i wanted to hear, some eveidence where somebody else went threw it, and found out the end result. Again, thank you !!!!!
But didn't want to hear that anybody lost money. I hate theives !!!

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
It seem to be a scammer, I ran the phone number and it doesn't register and it's been used a number of times. http://www.nocallerid.com/111-044-0601
When I ran a 'Google' search this number came up with many sites where people have posted complaints against it.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Don't do it. This is a scam as I've been through this on several bikes I have looked to buy and have sold on Craigslist. Always same sererio, out of town buyer or seller and shipping is always involved and often someone in military. Craigslist recommends dealing with local folks and accept only cash to protect against scammers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too recommend - DO NOT DO THIS .... It is a scam.... He will tell you he has transferred the money and it will appear so, but it will not be his money he transferred ... Then he will rush to get the cycle picked up ... then a few days later you will find the money that the real person lost will be refunded to him from your account by paypal and your SOL.... No Way .... Stick with local... Cash in hand.... I almost lost a $700.00 camera like this...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank You, Thank ALL OF YOU !!!!

Ya'll have just saved me from a big problem. Never sold anything on Craigslist. Bought, but never sold.

Sure don't want to loose money, or bike, to something that could have been prevented.
THAT IS WHY I ASK ALL OF YOU, For I know the TRUE answer was here.
Again, I thank all of you for your support and help.

God Bless !!!!
......... jamie

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Another job "WELL DONE" by the Gold Wing Owners Forum police..... Great job guys.... Way to help a fellow winger...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.