Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. I need some advice. first let me say that i have wanted a gold wing for many years, just wasn't in the budget with 5 kids and college, i had a 500 custom in 80, put lots of miles and 2 cross country trips on it before retiring from cycles for a while. now i have the urge to buy the bike i always wanted, the big brother of the 500. am looking on ebay for something under 2K. one is interesting, the owner says antifreeze gets into the oil. now to me this suggests a head gasket or cracked block. guess i just need someone to tell me to stay away from it, the price will be low. looking forward to the forum in the future as an owner. thanks in advance. T

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
i got my 1200 aspencade back in '07 for $ 2500. all it needed was tires. i wasn't looking for a project. have you checked craigslist. i see some 1200's in my area for as low as $1500, i may get one of them just to make a trike out of it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep, skip ebay and do craigslist. I just got an 84 interstate for $2000. 47,000 miles and immaculate. 35 years of buying used bikes has taught me one thing - When not to buy:
If it leaks don't buy it.
If the block is cracked don't buy it.
If it has been sitting for years don't buy it.
If there is antifreeze in the oil or vice versa don't buy it.
If the exhaust is caked with black crap don't buy it.
If it doesn't start don't buy it.
If all the electrical doesn't work don't buy it (well, I always ignore this one)
If a voltmeter shows the battery isn't getting 13-14v when over 1000rpms don't buy it.

But, if any of these things exist and the price is so low that I could have a dealer fix the problem for the difference then I would buy it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts