Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 92 Aspencade. bought it Sep 2011. Have done some operator maintenance on it, but nothing major, i.e.,forks, springs, shocks, wheel bearings, stem bearings, etc.. Was going to do the work myself over the winter, but when I talked to the my Honda shop folks, they quoted very reasonable rates on labor/parts, so thought I would have it done there. When I discussed that I wanted to replace the rear shocks with Progressive 416s, they recommended 412s for the following reasons:

1) Bike is getting older, and if the rear shock/air system goes bad on the road, for whatever reason, I am down for the count. With a 412 manual shock, that won't take place, ie, have eliminated one factor in the shock equation. Stated 412 shock will give just as good support as the 416.

2) Air compressor/air support systems are harder and harder to replace. I do see them on ebay regularly.

My gut tells me to stay with the 416s (only $30 more than 412s, but from past experience, I have found these guys to be straight shooters. I did ask for their recommendation based on their professional experience.

I have had 2 Wings with air over past 20 years and have never had any issues with the air shock system, however, this bike is 22 years old. They will replace which ever one I ask them to, however, just wanted to get some of you folks' feedback.

Appreciate any comments you may have.

Thanx
Bud

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
i have 412's on my 1200 wing because the compressor isn't working
i have 416's on my 1500 wing because the compressor is working

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
Thanx detdrbuzzard. That seems to be my thoughts also.

Bud
the air shockes have more adjustment than the spring shock giving a softer ride when needed where as the 412's are set firmer than what i would have wanted but the bags have to be removed to make any adjustment

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
There are other more adjustable/compliant set-ups out there, but it depends on how much coin you want to drop for them.

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
Got 188,000 miles on my 93 and the air system is still working, using 416 in the rear. Have them service the air pump ie. new or dried descant crystals.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Also have them check the hose that runs from the pump to the regulator. The one on my 88 had dry rot cracks and was leaking. A new one solved the problem.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'vebeen thinkng of replacing the rear shocks on my 93 Interstate which does not have an air compressor. Thinking a small air compressor that hooks into a power outlet for the times that I need to make adjustments would do, otherwise a hand bicycle pump. FYI for those who don't have an Interstate, there is a hose to make adjustments in the right saddlebag.

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
I'vebeen thinkng of replacing the rear shocks on my 93 Interstate which does not have an air compressor. Thinking a small air compressor that hooks into a power outlet for the times that I need to make adjustments would do, otherwise a hand bicycle pump. FYI for those who don't have an Interstate, there is a hose to make adjustments in the right saddlebag.
Progressive used to have a small hand pump with a pressure gage available. Have to be carefull the shocks are high pressure low volume. It is easy to blow the seals if a high volume compresser is used.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.