Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I ride a Harley but come here in peace to get advice, lol. Whenever I need advice like this - I turn to a Goldwinger - They have done it all. Really..

OK, I have been riding now for about 12 years, been in all 50 states and ride in all kinds of weather - Up until about 3 years ago, I would just stop and put on rain gear - PIA..

Then I went to http://www.roadgear.com/Technical_Wear/Pants/Tierra_del_Fuego_PantsOverpants/

Good pants and offered Protection and I liked the idea of wearing them all the time..

Well, after three years, they began to leak in the crotch area in a heavy rain - called RoadGear - talked about the problem - I knew the warranty was out - They said to send them in and they would have the manufactor take a look at the linning..
I sent them and Road Gear called to say the pants arrived but the warranty was out - Ya, we knew that - then they said, all they could/would do is to offer to sale me new pants - this tactic pissed me off - I said just send them back..

I have used Techwash each year and taken good care of the pants..

I am now looking for a new pair and come here to get your advice on a good pair of overpants that will offer some protection and also be good for rain gear - I still have a very good rain jacket that I can put on when the weather turns.

Harley riders are good but for Touring advice, I always seek out a Goldwinger - You guys RIDE.

My very first long (for me, lol) trip was 1800 miles and it took me a week. While at a Denny's, we pulled up next to a Goldwing. Got off and started talking, He ask how long we were on the road and how many miles had we logged on this trip - I puffed out my chest and said almost a week and pushing 1500 miles > Then he told me about His current trip. I still laugh about that meeting. He was very nice but his trip was Wayyyyyyyyy longer than mine ever thought of being. I tip my hat to you all - Iam getting there. Last May (and again this May) The wife and I road with www.rftw.org
We did CA to DC and then turned left and rode up to VT and then back to CA - so we are working on it.

Thanks for your advice.

Michael - Turlock, CA

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
It's OK Michael, I used to ride an Ultra Classic, and several other of the group have had HDs do you are among friends. I try to avoid riding in the rain, get caught occasionally. Unless it pouring I stay pretty dry on my Wing. Just ride and enjoy, and above all be Safe.
Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's OK Michael, I used to ride an Ultra Classic, and several other of the group have had HDs do you are among friends. I try to avoid riding in the rain, get caught occasionally. Unless it pouring I stay pretty dry on my Wing. Just ride and enjoy, and above all be Safe.
Ken
Thanks, I also try my best to avoid rain but sometimes, it just is there and in May with www.rftw.org - they ride each day Reguardless of weather, so a good pair of pants is a Must - I just want to get the best for my $$$ - retired now and NO More Overtime, lol

I see your from WA state - now that some rain to avoid.

I did rent a Goldwing in 02 while in Holland for three days, Wife LOVED the Wing - esp with the Key Fob trunk opener - just couldn't get used to all the quite and my short legs Barely reached the ground - but very nice ride.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Some riders use Frogg Toggs. I used them for about 10 years (2 pairs) and the work reasonably well. The Wing does provide more rain protection that most other bikes and maybe thats why they worked so well. Lightweight and don't take up much room.

I now have a First Gear outfit and it works well. It's hotter than the Frogg Toggs but keeps the water from coming in around the neck better.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
No such thing as the perfect garment for all conditions and still being comfy
I love my 1st Gear textile pants Enough padding where it counts...Under liner out..they're cool for summer( vented thigh and crotch)...Under liner in they're toasty...Dark clouds mean get out the rain gear..Mine are Road Gear...2 Pcs each the size of cantalopes when stuffed in the sack...

·
Registered
405 Posts
The "Roadtogs" version of Frogtoggs work well for me. $50 on sale supposed to be rated to a certain MPH. Still breathable like other toggs.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i use tourmaster quest overpants they work good for me

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just sold my UltraClassic...miss it bad

Its expensive but Aerostich makes a great textile clothing. Motoport also is the next generation Kelvar cycle clothing but even more $$$

·
Registered
232 Posts
Tour master

I wear the tourmaster defender series raingear and it does a good job keeping me warm and dry. Use it over the Gerbings and really keeps the heat in.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I don't carry a rainsuit anymore (used to have a Wollyworld Heli Hanson for both of us) as we both have the Joe Rocket/Nirvana jacket and pants with rain liners. Yes I will eventually get wet in a deluge, but if it's raining that hard, you're gonna get wet anyway as it runs down the neck and up the cuffs after a while. Can't go wrong with Tourmaster though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I echo the Aerostitch recommendation. "Riders Wearhouse". Overpants well made, not only waterproof but crash resistant.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I personally like the Frog Toggs. I've been in some pretty nasty rain and they keep me reasonably dry. They are fairly easy to slip on and off over the boots. In a pinch they can keep you warm in dry weather also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tourmaster works great for me. Not only can it protect the body from weather changes but it can also protect the body from impending minor injuries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts