Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buying one of two bikes tomorrow afternoon so I need pro's & cons on both
1990 1500 with 100,000 miles. everything works just needs outside cleaning a probable a tune up

1987 1200A with 37,000 miles. radio play when it feels like it, smokes on one side when started, clutch needs bleeding, needs rear brakes

help me out here GW owners spread the knowledge!!!

[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Wow, that's a tough one. First, are you handy and can you do most maint on a m/c? If you are then the 87 with less miles might be a good choice. I had a 98 GL1500 so I'm more familiar with the 1500 than I am with the 1200. Since the 1500 was made for 12 years and most of the parts are the same, replacing things might be a little easier. Also, the 1500's have been known to go well over 100k with only timing belts and regular maint done to them.

Take a look at both and see which one "calls to you" and you will know. You did not mention price so I assume they are close. Either would be a good bike with the right care and maint. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Okay so as my Two Wheeled companion says This is a tough one.

1st I have a question - Spots or 3D?

Now to the bikes.

1200's are known to have stator issues so you may want to ask the question if the stator was redone or hard wired. If that confuses you do a search on this site for "stator" & lots of reading will come up. Other than that they make great bikes & there are several 1200 owners here that say they wouldn't trade them.

1500's as T.W. stated have been known to go well over 100k with the aforementioned maintenance. Again ask the question.

Read your post back to yourself it appears to me that you are leaning toward the 1500. Think about the one that calls you.
Another side to this is, Would this be a starter Gold Wing that you may be buying & in a reasonably short time selling & getting a different one? If so just enter that into the equation. A final thought is there are lot's of used Wings out there for sale you could pass on both & do some more searching. That comment is based on not knowing anything about the pricing you have. Just a thought.

Look on this site:

http://www.cycletrader.com/

Good Luck & let us know the way you decided.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Local Goldwing-Only GL Service/ Repair Shop: Venco Wings, here in NH has stellar reputation with GL owners [ www.vencowings.com ]. They do landmark mail-order business; ship all over US. Get all my 1500 OEM parts from them at reasonable $. Own '95SE w/CSC FSIII sidecar...10 yrs; had 4 rigs. Jim at Venco said t'is almost impossible to get '75 thru '87 Wing OEM parts now[1000/1100/1200]and Mother Honda is now starting to do a wind-down on GL1500 spares.
Their BIG Bread & Butter cash flow is GL1800[will NEVER own one; sidecar work way too stressful on their solo-only aluminum frame. Will stick w/steel GL1500 frame, Thank You!].
Anyway, my '95 is the BEST motorcycle I've ever owned in 50 yrs. of riding[CZ, H-D, Jawa, NSU, TWN, 2 BMWs, Moto Guzzi, 2 early GLs, present '95SE....11 in all]& have ridden others. NEVER rode a motorcycle I really LOVED, until THIS ONE; wife & I ride our rig all over New England. GOOD LUCK on your Wing decision. TTFN.....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts