Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out on a poker run ride with about 40 other bikes today, I had slowed way down due to stray livestock along the road, to make a long story short a couple bikes coming behind way to hard and fast to get stopped and I got rear ended. Busted up my left saddle bag and lights and spun me around into the ditch. Have to call the insurance co. on Monday but what other concerns are there? Like suspension, transmission how do I know if they are ok? We got the bike out of the ditch and water, got it started and drove it on home (20 miles). Anyone out there know of a repair shop to go to in Nebraska?

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
Dave, sorry to hear about your misfortune. 1st I would find a Honda shop that has the experiance to handle Goldwings (no matter what the ins. co. says), wherever that may be even if it's a distance away. 2nd the only thing you can do is have it checked, you may or may not have damage to trans, suspension, etc. but unless it is obvious you may not know for sure. 3rd this is why my wife & I never do any kind of big rides, We very rarely ride with groups & if we do it is with a couple of good friends/riders that we have experianced riding with. My advice is let the poker runs for the others & keep your distance.

I can't help with the shop request though seeing I'm out in Pa. Again sorry to hear about your trouble.

I'm sure someone will help with that info & equally sure how someone will comment how I'm wrong about big rides but Oh Well I'll never have to find out for sure.

Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First, glad you were not injured. You can order parts for a bike, people are a little different and harder to replace. I agree with Fossil, take it to a qualified Honda shop and have it gone over. Maybe the only damage was to the tupperware, but I would have everything checked.

Maybe you should consider not playing poker anymore!!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Bill hit it on the head about getting it checked out from someone 'you' trust.

My last accident was in a Jeep and my insurance agreement said that if I used one of their 'preferred' repair shops, I would have a lifetime warranty on the work. Sounded good. But soon realized that my agent and the shop foreman of the repair shop were on a first name basis. They worked together every day of every week. My agent was a frequent customer and the shop was going to please them (which became, fix the obvious). Next time, I will take it where I am the customer.

• take it where you feel they will take care of you and your bike
  • stay in touch, go by and look at 'your' bike while it is being repaired if at all possible
  • see what they found
  • look at it for yourself
  • Absolutely do not sign off on paperwork until you have a chance to ride it for a day -tallk to the service agent about this 'before' the work starts so it won't be a hassle on the back end.
  • test every knob, feature, lids close, lock etc.

I hope all this is overkill and it truly is just some tupperware. Reallly, all the skeleton parts that are bent and plastic should be easy to diagnose and replace. If it feels normal after the repair, I would feel pretty good about it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You have good advice here. If something was bent you would have felt it on the ride home I would assume. Just being able to ride it home is a good sign that your OK and maybe just tupperware damage. I avoid group rides because all it take is one yahoo to ruin a good day. I hope all works out well for you.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Sorry to hear about your event but really glad you weren't hurt.

I took mine back to where I bought it after a lady pulled out in front of me. They have a good shop and were concerned about getting it right. Crawl around on the ground and look at everything before you sign off, I found the crash bars scratched on the bottom after all was said and done. My insurance ended up covering that but it took another trip to the shop.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Glad you O.K. take it to a Honda shop, they will tear it apart and notify the insurance company with an estimate. Go through the other guys insurance, not yours. If they find other damage when the repairs start they will notify the insurance company for an approval for additional repairs. That is what I did when my 08 was rear ended.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So sorry to hear of your events. just so glad you wasn't hurt. your bike can be repaired,even replaced, but YOU can't. BEST of luck, Mark

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Dave glad you are OK. I know the feeling about having a broke bike, but you have good advice to have it checked at Honda. One good sign is that it was still ridable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to hear about your terrible day! I hate accidents that aren't "my" fault!! Glad to hear that the only thing that was hurt was your bike...

About shops in and around Nebraska, if you are a GWRRA member (or know some who is), there is a list of 15 Honda shops in NE on page III-11 of the Gold Book (an invaluable reference, in my opinion). Send me a PM with your location, and I can point you to the closest one to where you are (or give you a few as options).

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That is a terrible day Ron, glad you're ok thoough. There are 12-13 dealers from Nebraska listed in the Goldbook, where are you located? As to what Joe said, I hope you got the other guy's info!

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is a terrible day Ron, glad you're ok thoough. There are 12-13 dealers from Nebraska listed in the Goldbook, where are you located? As to what Joe said, I hope you got the other guy's info!
Budoka,

I'm kinda :confused:. Glad to know that I'm OK though!

Read your post a few times... Dave had the accident, not me. I was letting him know there are dealers listed in the Gold Book, and since he doesn't list his location, I asked him to send a PM so I could give him details.

Maybe you meant "Dave" instead of "Ron" and more or less repeating what I posted? Not entirely sure here...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt Dave. Sad day indeed.

Just to reiterate what someone else alluded to: this is a good reason to avoid group rides. I used to go on them, but there are just too many newbe's who think they are experienced enough for the ride but in reality aren't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts