Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just made a deal to buy an 1985 Interstate. It looks like showroom condition, 77000 kms (46,200 miles). The deal is subject to a mechanical inspection and I have that set up two days from now. What are the top five things I should make sure that this mechanic covers off?

·
Registered
690 Posts
... HOWDY ... I BOUGHT A 85 1200 LTD. ACOUPLE MONTHS AGO ... SO HERE ARE SOME MUST KNOW QUESTIONS TO ASK ... HAVE THE BELTS BEEN CHANGED ??? IF SO WHEN ... ARE THERE ANY OTHER THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN CHANGED ie: STARTER - HOSES - STATOR - ANY ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS - HOW OLD ARE THE TIRES EVEN THOUGH TIRES MAKE LOOK LIKE NEW THEY ACTUALLY HAVE A SHELF LIFE 6yrs. WHICH IS ALITTLE TRADE SECRET - BASICALLY FIND OUT THE SERVICE AND REPAIR HISTORY OF THE BIKE ... I BOUGHT MINE KNOWING THAT THE STARTER WAS GOING OUT AND IT WOULD COST SOME BUCKS TO REPAIR ... AND THERE WERE A FEW OTHER MINOR ISSUES THAT I NEEDED TO ADDRESS BUT THAT DID NOT STOP ME FROM MAKING THE BUY ... ALSO MINE HAD 62K ON IT WHICH DID NOT SCARE ME AWAY FROM THE BIKE ... ASK IF YOU CAN TAKE IT FOR A SHORT ROAD TEST TO SEE HOW THE SHIFTING AND BRAKING ARE AND THAT WILL ALSO TELL YOU IF THERE ARE ANY HANDLING PROBS. ... USE YOUR OWN JUDGEMENT AND IF EVERYTHING FEELS GOOD TO "YOU" MAKE THE BUY ... REMEMBER ANYTHING YOU BUY USED BE PREPARED TO PUT SOME MONEY INTO IT ... HAPPY TRAILS ... P.S. IF YOU DO BUY THE BIKE AND THE BELTS HAVE NOT BEEN CHANGED - DO SO ... IF A BELT BRAKES THE LEAST IT WILL DO IS TAKE OUT THE CYLINDER HEADS AND MAYBE MORE ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ronzilla, some good advice from you and that is what I was looking for. I have been reading different threads and of course you read about some horror stories. I might try to get the previous owner info from the current owner. The current owner did not ride much, short afternoon trips. The bike has extra lighting on it, front fender, rear mudflap and an aftermarket CD player. I can't imagine a CD would play all that well on a motorcycle. The test ride seemed fine from my limited experience with Goldwings. This bike is a step up for me from my Yamaha XJ700.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts